What's the best corridor for an east-west separated bikeway through the city?

The Adelaide City Council plans to build an east-west separated bike lane through the city, to complement the Frome Bikeway.  A consultation document can be found at:

http://www.adelaidecitycouncil.com/assets/documents/FLYER-Bikeways_...

They've not decided which corridor it should be: Grote-Wakefield, Flinders-Franklin or Pirie-Waymouth and are seeking input.

BISA wants North Terrace better cycling conditions on North Terrace - ideally a separated bike lane - and are campaigning for this.  But of the 3 options presented, BISA is leaning toward Flinders-Franklin.  Below are the pros and cons of each option as presented in the January Pedal Update.

Any opinions?

Views: 1346

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The problem as I see it is the DPTI still see cycling as a recreation activity, not a valid form of commuting. Evidenced by the "use the footpath comment" re: North terrace.
Until we can change that thinking in the Public Service/Parliament/General Public we'll struggle to get adequate bike infrastructure in Adelaide.

The $5.5mil is from the State govt right? for the express purpose of improving cycling infrastructure? Given tha the ACC are involved I'll believein the E-W link when I see it.

I received a letter from ACC today.  Aiming for Sydney and Calgary rather than Copenhagen and Amsterdam:

Seville is a zero-to-hero bike city but Sydney and Calgary.... far out

Pretty exciting, it's good to hear they'll be done in a year (hopefully)!

The InDaily article on the same news suggests the Frome bikeway do-over will start next week. This is interesting because I wasn't aware a final design had been decided upon, or made public at least?

https://indaily.com.au/news/2017/09/13/citys-key-east-west-bikeway-...

I read this in the Indaily story about the bikeways...

Central Ward councillor Houssam Abiad

“I’ve not received any emails from anyone in the bike lobby … that wants to come and support and clap for council.

“We see no recognition from our community … and that really I find quite disheartening and disappointing.”

I thought the council was well aware of what we thought?

That's actually a really childish and petulant reply from the councillor

Perhaps Councillor Abiad saw it as a ceremonial occasion. 

BISA did write to all the Councillors expressing support for Flinders/Franklin before the committee briefing.  Several cyclists also attended the briefing.  Once we heard that Councillors agreed on Flinders Franklin we saw no point in attending the Council meeting.  

We of course were full of praise when they announced the east-west route and finishing the Frome route. (That was before they decided to rip up some of the existing Frome route).  

Given the flip-flopping, you'd think that Councillor Abiad would appreciate cyclists' caution.  BISA has expressed cautious optimism that the Frome extension will be wide enough for cyclists, but we  will know better when we've tried it.

We note that Council resolved that consultation on the Frome extension was to be limited to local land owners and residents.  And I don't think anyone has been consulted over actual plans for Flinders Franklin.  Perhaps they don't have any yet.

Thanks for the reply, I found it hard to believe that no groups had contact ACC.

No argument to that Daniel, I don't think I read the announcement in detail, so I'm not aware of the streetscape being or not being included. Trees are good, pedestrians are good.

Dave M, I understand the capacity gap, and I know that even in Europe most cycle infrastructure follows the separation train of thought. However, both personal experience and reading or hearing about bicycle accidents, most occur when vehicles and bikes come back together, as at intersections, crossings etc. Without having the exact numbers or research, I think more accidents happen in this way then when bicycles are mixed in traffic. My thoughts on that are that both cyclist and vehicle operators (I don't want only blame 'the other') become accustomed to being separated and therefore less careful and considerate, when they they do interact at crossings, that's when problems arise.

A 2014 article on citylab.com supports my point; the less 'obstacles' there are on the road, the less cautious road users will be (https://www.citylab.com/design/2014/10/why-12-foot-traffic-lanes-ar...).

searching for that article I also came across this relevant article about the design of bicycle lanes https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2017/09/how-do-you-design-an...

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service