I stumbled across the website www.cyclodeo.com which I think hold examples to solve many discussions between people who wants to promote bicycling by implementing better bicycling infrastructure and cynics who either don’t want this to happen or don’t understand how it works.

In particular I find that this video from Osterbrogade, Copenhagenis loaded with a whole range of subtle yet clever examples on how simple measures, that doesn’t necessarily cost a fortune, can make a street and city so much more inviting for people rather than cars.

I have put a some comments below to assist the viewer but essentially from my personal experience the major difference in the approach is using raised/segregated bike tracks (paths if you like) on the inside of parked cars, clearly demarcated from pedestrian/paved areas and car lanes.

0:48 Sign to indicate this is not a car lane. Pedestrians (most often tourists) mistake bike paths for pavements.

1:09 Separate paved bus platform with bus shed on pedestrian area.

1:16 Bikes are allowed to proceed independent of traffic light and ‘only’ have to respect the zebra crossing.

1:19 Yield line to allow right of way for bicyclist entering from left (on green).

1:28 Painted bike lane used in intersection to remind cars to look for bicyclists and stay out of way when waiting to turn right.

1:38 Temporary traffic sign on left aligned with the direction of the traffic.

1:41 Typical example of bike racks. Most bikes have integrated locks like this fitted to the rear wheel which eliminate the need for locking the bike onto something unless you ride a very expensive bike.

1:44 Shop owner has put out their own bike rack.

1:46 Car stops for pedestrian who always has right of way at intersections.

1:49 Supermarket bike rack

1:55 Cars entering or leaving connecting side street have to traves cobble stones and raised bike track meaning the speed is slowed and increasing the level of safety.

2.03 Small ramp onto bike traffic for entering bike traffic from left.

2:57 Bike lane and right turning lane for cars merge. Notice how the car is slowly approaching and leaving spaces for the bikes. Strict liability rules means that it is always the bigger vehicle that loses in case of accidents.

3:30 2 bike riders approaching and waiting to complete hook turn to proceed left. This is the only allowed way to handle left turns in an intersection.

3:51-4:12 Several simple bike racks to slide your front wheel into

4:15 Similar to 1:55. Those cobblestones are not original but has been put in over the last decade or so to slow down traffic.

4:32 Bike parking on the left in connection with zebra crossing. People – not cars- rule.

4:39 Small bus platform.

4:53 More portable super market bike racks.

5:17 Traffic light dedicated for bicyclists turning green before car traffic lights allowing bicyclists to get a head start and not be overlooked by right turning cars.

5:30 Naughty bike rider getting rolling across red to get a head start and not getting stuck behind slower bike riders.

5:43-6:55 More examples where the buffer zone has been used for bike parks.

6:18 Bus stop in action. Notice how passenger stop for bicyclist. This is because there is a small paved platform. If there wasn’t like 7:16 bicyclists have to give way.

7:08 Naughty bike rider doing a right turn for red.

7:16 Bus stop in action. Bicyclist have to give way because there is no paved platform for exiting passengers. Btw the yellow busses marked with red run every 5 minutes and hence have no time tables. Busses are tracked by GPS and time to next bus is show on the actual bus stop pillar. And all buses have free wi-fi..

7:55 Bike rider waiting to turn left. No crazy manoeuvre of swerving in between cars but waiting on the side for a break in the traffic before crossing on a right angle. Using the ramp from the bike track.

8:37 Another couple of hook turns about to take place. If it is busy people bicyclists indicate by putting their left hand above their head that they are about to stop.

9:31 Train station servicing the greater Copenhagen areas where each train have got a least 1 full compartment for bicycles and they are free to bring.

Views: 924

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Paint on the roads make them slippery especially in wet conditions as it prevents water from draining and evaporating so sits on the surface for longer it's an example of the people who have little idea what they are doing not helping.

Agreed, what would you have as an alternative for road markings?

An alternative to Adelaide's green coloured bicycle lanes . . . raised cycling area between the footpath and parked cars, as in some European countries. Even safer because it does not rely on drivers choosing to stay out of bike lanes.

I cycled in Melbourne CBD in Dec-2012 and was impressed by the infrastructure, e.g. green bicycle lanes, separated bicycle lanes, green traffic lights for cyclists, and cyclists permitted places where cars vetoed.

Record number of females riding to work (in Melbourne where good infrastructure)
Posted on Bicycle Network Victoria on Tuesday 7-Mar-2013.
http://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/bike-futures/91757
There has been a phenomenal increase in the number of females riding to work in Melbourne.
City bound routes counted in this morning’s Super Tuesday Bike Count showed that females comprised over 50 per cent of riders at a number of intersections in the inner north, where the City of Yarra has invested consistently in improving bike infrastructure.
In Swanston Street in the CBD females comprised 32 per cent of riders.
This is an increase of 22 percent since the Copenhagen style lands were added to Swanston Street by the City of Melbourne, clearly showing that women will flock to bike commuting when the routes are made bike-friendly.
(Females are considered the ‘indicator species’ of bike network quality.)
Overall the count showed staggering increases in the number of bikes coming into the city in the morning peak.
At the Swanston / La Trobe intersection total bikes over the two hour period was 1235, up 62 per cent over the count in 2012.
At the southern end of Swanston Street, at the Flinders Street intersection, 1864 bikes were counted for all directions in the two hour period, an increase of 37 per cent over last year.
On the Main Yarra Trail at Swan Street a total of 899 bikers were on the south side of the river (38% up) and 1093 were on the north side path (22% up) over the 2 hour period.
On the Footscray Road bike path near the Costco store a total of 1450 riders were counted during the peak period, up 33 per cent on the year prior.

Just a catch up on the Rundle Street situation which I was going to come back and comment on.  In the section between East Tce and Pulteney there are still no legal bicycle lanes and as a result the green bike boxes have no legal status.  Does anyone know if ACC are planning to change this ?  Norm had some comments on this last time it was discussed.

Michael

On a similar note - I got to test the Rundle St / Pulteney St intersection again yesterday when on a bike, heading west, left hand turn onto Pulteney St - early morning so no cars came in behind me.

The sequence was such that I was next. I cycled over the sensor on my alloy MtBike and then hit the bike button and then sat there through a full sequence and a bit - my attempts to trigger the green light did not work.

Anyways, forgot to jot down the phone number on the traffic light controller to raise an issue - maybe I'll remember tomorrow ;-)

Ross, ACC are in charge of traffic lights in the CBD so contact ACC.

So does that mean that the ACC can change the traffic light sequence at King William/Nth Tce and King William/Sth Tce so that the tram always gets to go at the next sequence change?

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service