http://www.copenhagenize.com/2017/01/bike-boulevards-of-broken-drea...

"Looking forward, let us not conform to a substandard “good enough” attitude, let's look to best practices and replicate those, and redesign space to speak for itself. We must abandon half-step attempts and instead take bold strides in the direction of progress."

Let's see how many decades it takes before Australia catches up. Currently only 3-4 decades behind

Views: 326

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To be fair I dont think the article is anti Bike Boulevards, just suggests they need to be well designed with traffic calming measures to be effective. Correct me if I'm wrong but the proposed Prospect and Norwood ones will include lower speed limits and traffic calming designs?

Rob, I was the local cycling rep in the stakeholders group which discussed Braund Rd boulevard plans with authorities.

Told two things OFF the agenda:
1. Road closures with bicycle by-passes. This is what Braund Rd residents voted for around 1999, as the most effective and cheapest option, but council vetoed. The design works for Dew St in Thebarton, which is also located between parallel arterial roads (Prospect and Churchill c.f. Port and South).
2. Lower speed limit of 30 km/h. The state govt recognises that safer for cyclists and pedestrians when 30 km/h speed limit. Reference http://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/towardszerotogether/safer_speeds/speed_facts

Nearby Prospect Rd has 40 km/h limit, so not surprising arterial traffic diverts to residential and bikedirect Braund. The street is too narrow to meet AMCORD guidelines for a street, but treated like a wide collector road where more and faster traffic accepted.

A 2013 traffic study found that 22–38 per cent of vehicles exceed 40 km/h outside the Prospect Primary School. No data recorded for exceeding 25 km/h when children present in the school zone. Pending plan of a few raised intersections to slow traffic to the 40 km/h speed limit.

Many pedestrians use this narrow street with narrow footpaths. Most footpath verges are only 1.5m wide, so pedestrians and fences close to any out-of-control vehicles. A history of fences and buildings damaged by vehicles, as well as hit-run crashes.

The southern end of Braund Rd was wide enough to install 24-hr bicycle lanes, in the dooring zone of course. Another hazard of dark green rubbish bins placed in the bike lane, the bins being hard to see at night using some bike lights and the street lighting which appears not to meet Australian Standards. Prospect Council by-law 6 on Waste Management vetoes placing bins on the carriageway. Since Apr-2014 I have been reporting to council, in vain, of multiple bins placed on the carriageway and in the bike lanes.

Heather, Coordinator of Prospect BUG (Bicycle User Group)

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service