The TDU is near and to try to keep things contained this post can serve as a place to post your thoughts on the race, riders, course, rides, viewing points and other activities of the week.
Post your spottos in and the most creative wins a Ride Adelaide cap.
So basically, spotto a pro or team, must be more than 1 km from the Hilton, and you write it up so it's really impressive, you go into a draw to win. Entries close Saturday 16. I have copied the rules from the 2014 TDU spotto (thanks Dan), see below.
Dan's Spotto rules
1. You can't claim sightings within 200m of the Hilton (this includes the Tour Village).
2. One point for naming the team, one extra point for every rider you can identify by sight (no going back to Google and checking photos later, but spotting their name on their bike/jersey is OK). You can't say saw 5 teams, you need to name them.
3. You can earn kudos for the same team/riders if you see them multiple times on the same day.
4. Kudos for a photo with Paul Sherwin and/or Phil Liggett.
5. Chapeaus for a photo with defending title holder.
6. Good on yas for every individual or group of rider(s) you can get your photograph with and post in this discussion. You need to be standing next to the rider(s) preferably with their permission. To comply with Australian Road Rules - NO PHOTOGRAPHS WHILE RIDING UNLESS THE PHOTOGRAPHER IS STATIONARY.
7. Kudo for any mystery riders that AREN’T listed on the official TDU start list (ie. you might see Quintana herding a pack of alpacas or Froomey chewing stem) or Mario Fondriest or Cipo.
10. If you are riding in a bunch then only one person (the first to post) can claim sightings.
10. Extra high-fives for photos.
11. Slaps on the back for recognising a cyclist out of team strip.
13. Professional photographers can submit photos, but they can't win.
14. People who know people within TDU organisation cannot seek the whereabouts of riders.
15. Organised events, signings, media segments do not count. It must be impromptu i.e walking around, chilling out, riding, not organised, etc. One (1) point will be issued for such a photo only.
16. Any other rules I make up to protect the integrity of the competition!
Have fun, but don't stalk or generally be a dick.
I'll kick other TDU things off with a few points.
Are you taking to the week off?
What stage is unmissable and where is the best place to view it?
The TDU village expo is growing and is even bigger again this year.
Are you having a go at the Norton Summit ITT on Monday 18?
Other #TDU2015 information and posts http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topic/listForTag?tag=TDU2016
I saw BMC heading up Belair road this morning :o) Don't have photos or anything, but it's cool to see them out and about. Looked like the whole team, including Danilo Wyss who stood out in his national champion's jersey.
Beating the heat.
Indeed, as evidenced by the name of Marcus Burghardt's Strava activity yesterday.
I passed the BMC team on the Goolwa to Middleton Rd just before noon today. When I say passed, we were going in opposite directions. Nasty cold crosswind along that section, it was a pleasure (almost) to turn right and climb Crows Nest Rd, just to get away from the wind.
Came across the IAM team at Henley Square looking relaxed and drinking coffee at Cibo after a training ride, while I was at the beach with the kids on Monday at about 3:30pm. Liked the look of David Tanner's Black and Fluro green Scott Foil Aero.
IAM were heading up Lofty from Greenhill this morning at 10am. Also saw Team Sky blasting up the Cork Screw a bit later at about 10:30am. (I was on the way down) Durianrider was hanging around there on his bike in a business suit - not sure what that was about? :-) There is bound to be a video coming out soon though.
Spotto is now over for another year. The winner is Scott B with his comprehensive spotto and cute photo of his son with IAM team's bikes at Henley. That's what the TDU is all about.
A Ride Adelaide cap is coming your way. Check you Adelaide Cyclists email.
So my spotto of three Lampre Merida riders heading north on Glynburn road counts for nothing now? Oh well, dozens of other Ride Like Crazy-ers saw exactly the same thing
Thanks guys - The Boy is cute - I might even let him borrow my new cap.