Last night I was having a conversation with a dog-walker whilst we were both stranded by a stalled freight train at the pedestrian crossing at North Adelaide Station. About an hour later some poor bloke was hit at the same place. The dog-walker, who uses the crossing a lot, reckoned that Gawler bound express trains can come around the corner and be on you at the crossing before you know it...
There are electric gates for rail crossings - obviously for cars - but they are also made for bikes and pedestrians. Woodville Road has some. They are far superior to the nuisance chicanes we (mostly) have to deal with in that they allow trailers, cargo bikes and large mobility scooters through, and they are (obviously) closed when a train is approaching.
Do we need more fatalities, avoidable fatalities, at antiquated rail crossings?

Views: 1254

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I used that crossing a week ago for the first time and found it quite unnerving that I hadn't heard the northbound train approaching before I saw it come round the bend. The (road) level crossing that I use most often has the bells and boom gates operated well before the train is visible around a bend a similar distance away.

I agree that all pedestrian rail crossings should be updated to teh standard of the ones near renovated stations.

News article indicates that the accident was at the Hawker St Bowden crossing (which has bells/lights/boom gates).  This is five or six hundred metres north of the North Adelaide Station Road crossing - an unprotected maze. 

Even so, suburban trains can sneak up on you there, as so few stop at North Adelaide.  Perhaps the old-fashioned level-crossing warning (long-short-long) instead of a brief toot by trains may help.  Agreed, as this crossing is in the proximity of a previous fully-protected road crossing (where warning would have been given by bells, lights, etc.), and there are 3 tracks of high-speed rail there, a gated, interlocked petestrian crossing would be appropriate.

(Incidentally, such pedestrian crossings would also be appropriate for Hawker St, where there was previously a bridge.)

Fabulous amount of information! Thanks for the details, such information is hard to find. Whilst I'm keen for the proposed improvements, I would mourn the loss of 'at grade' access to the parklands as indicated in your graphics. Kids and cargo bikes etc would not relish negotiating an underpass to access the park, and the crossings of the Gawler line provide pleasant links to North Adelaide (as long as you don't have a trailer etc).
Suicide is a bigger cause of death than road accidents, and although I don't know how common suicide by train is, the ancillary trauma must be severe... I don't know how you do a cost/benefit analysis on it, or whether improved infrastructure can/will make a difference.
But I do know that those chicanes are awful and that better alternatives exist.
Yes, I contacted DPTI to be included in their consultations around Torrens to Torrens project after I looked at some of their recent meeting records and could see no evidence of bicycle consciousness. We'll see...

On a related but not really related topic. I find it quite sad and a little disturbing that on many of the pedestrian crossings at train lines in my neck of the woods there are lifeline help line signs up. Shows there is a problem. I feel very sorry for the train drivers

Those mazes are generally horrible and aren't used in civilised European countries in the cities.

If you have a bike trailer, or cargo bike, or trike etc, then forget about it.

+1 I can't think of anywhere where pedestrians and cyclists are taken straight across train takes. Always ramps or tunnels.

The perspective doesn't give this justice.  I reckon the train driver would not have enjoyed his/her perspective:

Im not saying what this cyclist did is right or wrong But.. if you were going to make a propaganda film about how close someone came to dying then you've pick the 100% perfect angle to make the train and bike look closer than what they really are... also its very convenient that the cyclist is wearing a mask so 100% blame on the cyclist but no one can be charged.. hmmm. and who films rail crossing with HD cameras unless youre planning on making a real (cough fake) scenario and then pump it out to ALL of the media channels.

If I'm right I guess we'll see it TV and the all of the newspaper sites because shomehow?? they all managed to get the same video at the same time..

also its an engine with only one carriage? quicker to stop in case of an emergency rather than a full train. we would hate for the actor (sorry random bike rider) to slip at the last minute and get run over on full HD television.

I don't think this one was fake either

I reckon it was at least 6 seconds, hardly a close call

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service