Power Metre I am considering buying a power metre to assist in my riding, head winds are variable as is heart rate, so would really like to work with my power. What would you recommend my friends have a Quark.

Please I don't want a debate as to why a recreational cyclist may need/want one etc....

Thanks in advance

Views: 3354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That .... is effing brilliant.

Another excellent example of thinking outside the box.

It is awsome- can't wait for a production model!, the only downside I can see is for the offroad boys and girls (and mabe CX). Get the wheel nice and muddy and the sensor won't reflect!

Looks like it might be all over..  at least on hold. They were well short on funding...

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/laser-spoke-power-meter-for-cycli...

I will be reviewing one of these next week.  I have 2 Garmin 310xt's and will be able to ride the powertap and the stages cycling power meter at the same time to compare. I still think the powertap is the best for people with multiple bikes.

http://www.stagescycling.com/stagespower-models

I can't help feeling these have been priced into the comparative market rather than against their actual worth. The value of actual electronics can't be much different to the Cyclops HR based meter. Development costs wouldn't have varied too much I wouldn't have thought - Cyclops say they have analysed 10's of 000's of hours of HR data to come up with their device. Both transmit via ANT+, Cyclops has HR, Stages has load sensors. Both are similar in physical construction

Because Stages give actual measured data rather than calculated data shouldn't mean they have to charge so much more on that fact alone..... $800 vs $200. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the actual R&D costs. Without seeing their costs, I would really only expect to pay around $400 for one of these. Maybe once the sales start flowing....

I would also expect Stages to sell more of their devices than Cyclops due to the 'real' vs 'toy' syndrome, so their overall profit margins could be reduced.

p.s. yes, I know there's a crank thrown in to the price!

In 10 years time power meters will be approx100-200$ just like HR monitors are today at base level.

Im not going to wait though, Im going to reap the benefits of living with a power meter on the bike. Id rather ride a mountain bike with a power meter than a road bike without if that was the choice I was given for the next 12 months training, hypothetically speaking.

Its like training in 2 gyms. One gym has numbers on the weights, the other gym you just have to go by feel.

DC Rainmaker is going to update his review of the stages power meter (one day) - but this article on slowtwitch looks pretty good in the interim, particularly for data geeks. 

http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Power_Meter_201_3672.html

Also look at the Power2max crank spider from NZ. Should be able to get a power meter on your bike for under $1k.

I am considering buying a powertap online but am a bit anxious about support if I have a problem with it.

Does anyone have any experience with after sales support on powertaps bought online?

Just ring up the aussie distributor and ask them what the support is. That way you get updated info and first hand.

Ive had a power tap since 2009 and rate them. Ive had it rebuilt twice when I went to the USA. It was far cheaper and faster for them to do it over there and customer service from Saris in the USA is incredible. If I were to buy a new power meter this week though, Id go a Stages or wait 2 weeks to see how the 4iii's Precision turns out. 

We have a few Stages Cranks to rent Bec.

You can try before you buy to see if it's your thing.

It's typically a big financial outlay to buy any Power Meter so we have added Ultegra & Dura-Ace cranks to our rental range. This means you can run it for up to four weeks to get used to riding and training with it before you part with your hard earned cash.

If you don't feel you need one just give it back, if you want one you can buy it through us too.

Drop me a line at info@velo-porte.com if interested.

Sorry for the commercial plug (Gus) but thought is might help.

Cheers,

Keith

This thread is from over a year ago. Lot has changed in the power meter industry in such a short time. Main things are that the biggest buyers of power meters are recreational riders who are new to the sport and want to improve faster than normal by having the most important numbers in your face each ride: watts and cadence. Second thing is no need to pay  more than 800$ or remove your cranks. In a few weeks a 400$ power meter is going to hit the market from 4iii's.

Of the 15 or so riders I raced with back in 2000 who still ride today, none of them actually have power meters. I can think of 15 riders that I know who only got their first road bike in the last year but already have power meters attached. Their progress is insane. 1 year with a power meter is like 4-5 years without.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service