Power Metre I am considering buying a power metre to assist in my riding, head winds are variable as is heart rate, so would really like to work with my power. What would you recommend my friends have a Quark.

Please I don't want a debate as to why a recreational cyclist may need/want one etc....

Thanks in advance

Views: 3354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like they're improved a lot (from their website, granted).  Steve, do you have one?  Would be interested to know what you think.

I had a few of the Gen II units, that I was using for development, and upgraded to the Gen III.

A lot of hardware bugs were sorted out in that time, and the final Gen III unit is bomb proof. I still use that same Gen III unit everytime I go for a ride. Ive had the Gen III for several years now, and it never lets me down. (Took a while to get it sorted though).

The early hardware bugs included :

- Cold weather performance

- Battery life

- Lack of waterproofing.

All of these are fixed by Gen III.

The other non-hardware bugs that raised a few eyebrows was the tendency to be less than accurate. This comes down to calibration though, and isnt a problem with the unit itself. The earlier unit required a good deal of patience to get the calibration right - the Gen III is much easier and stays true without fiddling around.

Software support is really good - the additional data fields such as wind velocity are easy to merge into Golden Cheetah with the minimum of coding.

2 things the old model is not good at :

- Really bumpy road surfaces. Messes up instantaneous readings over the bumps.

- Big gusts of side winds - messes up the wind gauge readings.

Both of which are easily overcome in software once the data is downloaded.

I am yet to get my hands on the new model, but it looks like it further addresses all of these older niggles, plus adds some more features.

More than happy to recommend it for what it is. (its not the same as a PT or SRM, but it has some advantages over both in some ways with the extra aero measurements).

At some stage, I would like to stock them in the shop here as well, and handle all the servicing, support, etc. from here. Thats a little bit down the track though. Best of all, support is brilliant - its a small coy run by engineers, and you get to deal with the CEO and head engineer directly if you have any questions. Warranty treatment is no-nonsense too.

I like. $500 is a bargain IMHO.

They are not a direct power meter.

Sounds like a good option when power meters were either 2k or you don't get nothing but now one in 2013 can get a direct power meter for 850AUD landed (power tap pro+ rear wheel build) Id me more inclined to go with a direct power meter.

Where did you get your G3 for that price Darren?

850 AU is a much nicer number than 2k, for sure.

Will look into that. Would be a nice addition to the must-have list.

I have every faith that we are heading towards $299 for pedal based DF devices within a year or 2 as well.  Prices for bike tech is getting on the same curve as personal computers have been sitting on for years. Its just a matter critical mass.

eBay. It was used but excellent condition. Desided to race with it this weekend in Cairns with a wheel cover from wheelbuilder. Get some good power data over a 90km TT

And no GPS, so no Strava power...

*edit* looks like it pairs up with the Garmin as a power meter...  still one big drawback is that it can't be used on a stationary trainer 

Compatible stationary trainers :

http://www.ibikesports.com/documents/iBike_Compatible_Trainers_1-15...

I havent looked at the 'PowerStroke' stuff they are claiming for the new model - looks like post ride software analysis to measure how much sideways wobble you are putting in whilst peddling. Claim is that it can also measure that on a trainer ?  Might be pushing the limits of sanity to be able to do that, not sure.

It pairs up fine with garmins and things, as its just another ANT+ device

Correct, there is no torque measurement involved in the power calculation in this case. (Although it can receive ANT+ data from from a direct force device - at up to 16Hz, and merge that direct force data into the other parameters captured on the ride).

Because it uses a large number of other inputs aside from torque, the accuracy of the wattage is only as good as the calibration, and the accuracy of the inputs. So compared to torque measuring devices like a PT, it has the potential to be wildly inaccurate for measuring power ... if you let it go there.

On the plus side (compared to PT or SRM), it gives you some extra data to play with. The aero figures are real fun to play with. 

Like I say though - I am happy to recommend it for what it is. Its a really good hacker tool for gathering some useful data on the bike. Its also great for pacing hills, finding your aerobic decoupling point, and playing around with your position on the bike. 

Look there is a definite plus with these devices IF you also pair it with direct power.
Some good, non bias info in the book Training and Racing with Power.

Thanks Steve.  Looks promising.

Another one in development

Laser Spoke

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service