Hi all, just a query about the status of permanent signs with "Cyclists Dismount" on them. There are a few variations and these are often seen around railway lines and crossings and there is a sign like this in Goodwood on a path that runs parallel to the train line (runs from Victoria St to Cranbrook Ave in Goodwood on the eastern side of the train line). I am wondering whether a) this is a legal sign (if so, under what law) and b) if a fine attaches to not dismounting when riding past.

I always assumed that it might lie in the railway corridor but it doesn't go anywhere near the train line.

(I know there is the bikeway on the other side of the train line but it's longer and I'd like not to have to cross the line and wait for trains)

Thanks!

Views: 457

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks Peter, I agree there's no need for the sign...

I take back my last comment on the concrete block being dangerous.. I rode through there on the weekend and noticed the concrete block is now on the other side of the fence.

Yeah no worries, I think the fences went in during the last 12-18 months (along the entire length of the train line).

"Cyclists dismount" is basically a cop-out due to bad-design/limited funding to do the job properly.

Such signs assume that all cyclists are able-bodied and are able to dismount in the first place...

Some guidelines remember that a cyclist might wear cycling-specific shoes with cleats, and walking while wheeling their bike can encourage slipping.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service