Where do they find all the cyclists not wearing a helmet ?  I can't remember when I last saw a cyclist cycling without a helmet.

More than 800 expiations or cautions were issued by South Australia Police during Operation Safe Cycling last month.

With the spotlight on cycling in Adelaide in January, police launched the road safety operation urging both cyclists and drivers to focus on obeying the law and sharing the roads.

Preliminary figures released by SAPOL today showed during the three week operation:

A total of 806 detections were recorded as part of Operation Safe Cycling:

- There were 53 expiations and 36 cautions issued to drivers;
- There were 333 expiations and 381 cautions issued to cyclists;
- There were 3 cautions for failing to keep a safe distance (cautionary period was in force until 25 January).

The three Local Service Areas in which the largest number of detections were recorded were: Sturt LSA (174 expiations and cautions issued) Eastern Adelaide (145 expiations and cautions); and Western Adelaide (121 expiations and cautions issued).

Among the detections were cyclists not wearing a helmet (403 expiations and cautions); cyclists riding at night without lights (176); cyclists disobeying a traffic control device (116); vehicles being parked in bike lanes (78); vehicles driving in bike lanes (8).

“A significant number of these detections relate directly to the issue of road safety, Superintendent Anthony Fioravanti, the officer in charge of the Traffic Support Branch, said.

“These detections are unacceptable to police and should be unacceptable to the wider community.”

Views: 1674

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Naughty boy you.

I am glad you got a warning so you can learn to stop being a hazard to yourself and the rest of Australia.

I'll remember to tell Mary when I next see her on one of the 420+ km beautifully raised, segregated and safe bike tracks.

:-)

Oh how I envy you Ken

I suspect in that situation that I'd end up with an expiation, by not being able to stop myself going on at length about how maybe they should be off nicking actual criminals and wasting a bit less of taxpayers' money.

That was unlucky. I've occasionally ridden most of the way into work (5 km) without noticing I'd forgotten to put on my helmet. 

I tweeted this, but only just getting around to commenting.

BikeSA estimates that 43,000 people in SA use a bike at least once a week. 400~ fines and 400~ warnings during the busiest cycling week of the year is a tiny, tiny percentage.

The 400 + 400 was over 3 weeks according to the article so even smaller for one week.  

And yet thousands of drivers continue to use their mobile phones. Saw another one today.

I have even seen one guy on my way to work where he was driving a mini-van with people in the back and he was holding/eating a bowl of cereal whilst he was driving...things you see while not having a go-pro........

Whether adults wear a helmet or not I really can't give a crap..you make your own safety decision and live with it ... for me  ..Kids riding = helmet 

Just coming in late on this...

I find these stats very easy to believe. I often see kids (or young adults) on back streets casually cycling without helmets (and without lights at night, and on the wrong side of the road). 

I'm not surprised that the ratio of offences was about 8:1 in "favour" of cyclists. I also don't think that contradicts the statistic that 80% of cyclist-car accidents are the car driver's fault. In my experience, cyclists more often break the law - but do it when they believe it is safe to do so. (e.g. running a red light when no one is coming, riding at night without a light when the streets seem quiet etc.). (Not that I agree with that behaviour)

I have a friend who recently bought a bike after having not ridden for over 20 years. He was surprised when I advised him the law required lights for him to ride round the suburb for exercise after dark, despite there being sufficient street lights to easily see his way. I noticed not long after that he now has some lights for visibility.

Ignorance is no excuse, but this is an example that not everybody "just knows" everything that we might assume they do.

Maybe sale of a bike should have to include a copy of the Cycling and the Law book ?  You can't make people read it of course but it wouldn't cost that much to run a pile off and ship them out to the shops.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service