Where do they find all the cyclists not wearing a helmet ?  I can't remember when I last saw a cyclist cycling without a helmet.

More than 800 expiations or cautions were issued by South Australia Police during Operation Safe Cycling last month.

With the spotlight on cycling in Adelaide in January, police launched the road safety operation urging both cyclists and drivers to focus on obeying the law and sharing the roads.

Preliminary figures released by SAPOL today showed during the three week operation:

A total of 806 detections were recorded as part of Operation Safe Cycling:

- There were 53 expiations and 36 cautions issued to drivers;
- There were 333 expiations and 381 cautions issued to cyclists;
- There were 3 cautions for failing to keep a safe distance (cautionary period was in force until 25 January).

The three Local Service Areas in which the largest number of detections were recorded were: Sturt LSA (174 expiations and cautions issued) Eastern Adelaide (145 expiations and cautions); and Western Adelaide (121 expiations and cautions issued).

Among the detections were cyclists not wearing a helmet (403 expiations and cautions); cyclists riding at night without lights (176); cyclists disobeying a traffic control device (116); vehicles being parked in bike lanes (78); vehicles driving in bike lanes (8).

“A significant number of these detections relate directly to the issue of road safety, Superintendent Anthony Fioravanti, the officer in charge of the Traffic Support Branch, said.

“These detections are unacceptable to police and should be unacceptable to the wider community.”

Views: 1667

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

> Where do they find all the cyclists not wearing a helmet ?

Yeah, I wondered that as well.

Hmm? I see a handful of helmetless riders almost every commute. Mostly in the parklands and on shared paths. I don't see them on-road at all.

OK so maybe they are on shared paths and parklands mostly.   I only ride the smallest bit of the parklands across Rymill Park so that would be why I don't see any. 

What utter bollocks. I'm getting sick of this.

I heard the story on Matt Abraham's show and I was quite disturbed.

I gaze into my crystal ball and all I see is things getting worse. If this kind of thing carry's on I reckon in ten years time normal, everyday cycling in Australia will just dissappear. And for the lycra crew the roads will become a virtual war zone

All I can see is more laws leading to more police blitz's, more animosity and more conflict.

Maybe I should stop reading Charles Bukowski. I'm trying not to be pessimistic but after riding in Australia for the past twenty years it just seems worse now.

The solution? God knows. Maybe a rally. I'm seriously thinking of giving up cycling all together. I've just bought a kayak actually and it's a lot more fun.

I'm going for a ride to clear me head.

You will probably find the next story on 891 is kayakers paddling two abreast slowing down Matt Abraham while he's trying to go fishing in his tinnie on the weekend. 

I fear you be be correct.

Maybe I should stop reading Charles Bukowski

What a good idea :-)

Drivers are responsible for the majority of bicycle crashes and near misses. Yet in Operation Safe Cycling, the police did not concentrate on vehicles and drivers.

1. 'Injured cyclist profile: an in-depth study of a sample of cyclists injured in road crashes in South Australia' (CASR112), by Lindsay VL, 2013, Centre for Automotive Safety Research, Adelaide. Published at http://casr.adelaide.edu.au/casrpubfile/1336/CASR112.pdf. Drivers responsible for 79% of bicycle crashes where cyclist hospitalised.

2. 'Naturalistic cycling study: Identifying risk factors for on-road commuters' by Marilyn Johnson, Judith Charlton, Jennifer Oxley and Stuart Newstead. Published by Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine in Jan-2010 (Ann Adv Automat Med. Jan 2010; 54: 275-283. PMCID: PMC3242541) at http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3242541
Prior to events, 88.9% of cyclists travelled in a safe / legal manner. . . . The vehicle driver was judged at fault in the majority of events (87.0%) and no post-event driver reaction was observed (83.3%). [Indication that drivers were unaware of their near collisions and driving inadequacies.] . . . Frequent head checks suggest cyclists had high situational awareness and their reactive behaviour to driver actions led to successful avoidance of collisions / near collisions.

Crumbs, did everyone get out of bed the wrong side today?

Who knows why Operation Safe Cycling was run, but we could speculate that with the new laws for cycling on footpaths and 1-1.5 m passing, the Police felt some need to run a visible campaign to nab some naughty bike riders to appease the baying-for-blood Advertiser/SAPolice Stalkbook cyclist haters.

Laws are established for all sorts of logical and illogical reasons, but we have to live by them (or do something constructive to get them changed). I for one have changed my view entirely about mandatory helmet laws and think the law should be removed - but if people choose to ride without a helmet (or speed, or drink drive, or go through red lights, or use a mobile phone while driving) then you can't complain if you get nabbed by Mr Plod.

In the 10 years I have lived in Adelaide I've seen:

massive improvements to on- and off-road infrastructure in the areas I ride - both  across the CBD (for example - I can now ride a 25km loop around the city with my kids 8,10 and 12 yo, with maybe 1km on roads, the rest on dedicated cycle paths) and outside (e.g. the Barossa Valley paths)

massive increases in the number of people riding bikes to and from the city every day - the Mike Turtur bikeway is starting to get really crowded at certain times of the day now.

lots more utility bikes and e-bikes, with a huge diversity of riders

more and more people driving to a near-city location and then riding the rest of the way to the city

the growth of the TDU into something as close to seeing the TDF as you can get without having to spend $3k on airfares

a wonderful set of legal, professionally built MTB trails across the Adelaide Hills which in years to come will be linked up to form an even more awesome MTBing experience for locals and visitors alike

the growth of cyclocross racing (thanks to PACC) which attracts men, women and kids in impressive numbers across all age groups and abilities

Is cycling in Adelaide perfect? Certainly not, but is it better than it was and still improving? Most certainly yes. I'm glad I live and ride here - I can ride to and from work safely each day, and 15 min from home I can be riding or racing my track, CX, MTB or road bike in awesome places with little or no traffic and (mostly) courteous drivers.

+1

+2

Yes I have to agree that my commute to work is a lot easier after the work on the two major intersections on Beulah Road, the metre passing rule is excellent, the footpath rule occasionally useful and numbers of commuters and electric bikes are up which I think is great.

Just out of interest what is  the route for your 25 km cycle around the city ? 

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service