As soon as BISA heard that the State government was going to extend the tram  down North Terrace to East Terrace we asked to speak to Transport Minister Mullighan about taking the opportunity to improve cycling on North Terrace.  (Bike facilities on North Terrace is number 2 in our top 10 wish list.)

We never got the meeting, and now that the plans are out, we can see why.  Not only will we not get bike lanes, but things will be worse, with the existing wide kerbside lane narrowed so much that cyclists will have to occupy the lane with buses and cars.  

Despite making it worse on the road - impossible for all but the brave and fearless - they are doing nothing for cyclists for cyclists off the road either.  One of our committee members wrote to DPTI about it and was told that cyclists will just have to take to the footpath.

Have a look at the promotional video.  Not a cyclist to be seen.  And this from a government that hopes to double the amount of cycling, and for a street that is the state's main cycling attractor.  What a joke!

Instead of providing bike lanes, or at least keeping the existing wide kerbside lane, they've decided to have tram platforms on the outside of the tram tracks, instead of in the centre, as on King William and the rest of North Terrace.  That means 2 platforms instead of one.  Also, it looks like they are going to widen the footpath on the southern side - as if it isn't wide enough already - rather than provide a bike lane.

ie cyclists are being literally and completely ignored.

BISA has put it's stance on our website.  Assuming its too late the change the configuration, we're calling for:

• converting the footpath next to the buildings on the northern side of North Terrace into a bike path
  • 30kph speed limit on North Terrace
  • part of the eastern footpath on King WIlliam Road north of North Terrace to be reserve for cyclists riding up hill.  (The tram extension down King William Road to Festival Drive similarly squeezes out cyclists.)

If you want to do something about it you can register your interest on the project website, explain your interest as a cyclist.  Better still, you can write to Mullighan: (ministermullighan@sa.gov.au)  telling him what you think.  

Some things you could say

• cyclists need to use North Terrace to reach the railway station, the unis etc.
  • cyclists on the footpath need a dedicated space for the safety of both pedestrians and cyclists
  • if cyclist are to use the traffic lanes, we need a lower speed
  • he should reconsider the wide footpath on the northern side to make room for a bike lane

Views: 2093

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Its a shame that with 3 universities and a new dental school on north terrace they have completely forgotten to include cycling as a via means of transport.

and a new hospital and high school off North Terrace.

One of our committee members wrote to DPTI about it and was told that cyclists will just have to take to the footpath.

Ah so that was why the government was so keen to let us cycle on the footpaths. 

Has anyone approached the relevant people at the universities about this ?  Such as 

http://www.unisa.edu.au/Campus-Facilities/Parking-transport-and-ser...

and 

https://www.adelaide.edu.au/ecoversity/resources/cycling/

Tram on Millswood underpass
Posted by ABC News on 24-Aug-2017
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-24/tram-on-millswood-underpass/8...
A tram travelling through the Millswood underpass on Goodwood Road during the mid 1950s. Image includes one tram, 3 train carriages and one car. Will current tramline extensions be popular with the public when limited room for cars and none for cyclists?

Yeah - I'd be keen!

I've just had a bit of a look at the amount of space available on North Terrace, and come up with this:

https://streetmix.net/-/566887

Measurements are from GE, so not perfect, but it uses the existing kerb-lines, maintains 2 lanes of traffic in either direction, has a single central tram platform the same width as KW Street.  It makes room for a painted (or narrow stepped) westbound lane, and a bi-directional track taken from part of the very wide shared use footpath.  I'm not sure how many bus stops there will be along here in future, so the bike track may need to swap with the footpath to allow a little more space around the stop.

Thoughts?

Paul

p.s. Feel free to use this concept in correspondence if you like the look of it, or create your own - It's pretty easy

So if I've got this right: you've got 29 metres from kerb to building, made up basically (starting from the left, where the buildings are) 8 metres narrower path or obstacles, 13 metres of green space, then 8 metres to the kerb which is currently mainly footpath and bus stops.

You're trying to use that 8 metres closest to the kerb, which I agree is the best place for bikes. (Bike SA has suggested the northmost part, but I think that's too much of an obstacle course). There your proposal has (north to south/kerb) 3 metres of footpath, 3 metres of bike lane (1.5 each way) and 2 metres for bus stops and footpath.

My concern is that you've only left 3 metres of footpath width, and that it's broken from the 2 metres (where the bus stops are). I think 3 metres just isn't enough in peak hour, and people need to cross the proposed bike path to get to bus stops. Also people tend to congregate around bus stops, outside the actual bus shelter; meaning that 2 metres between bike path and kerb may not be enough.

In your plan I'd want to swap the bike lane and footpath, so there's 5 continuous metres of footpath/bus stop nearest the kerb; and the bike lanes occupy the 3 metres closest to the green space. I still think that's out of proportion in peak hour (pedestrians far outnumber bikes, so I think dedicating 3/8 of the width to bikes is a bit much, and it might need to be shared space in peak hour), but I think if a bike path goes in, that'd be the best place.

Have you had a look at the street mix site?

You can take a given distance between buildings and play with the configuration.
It’s American but you can change the measures to metric and it has the traffic going the right way.
I’ve fooled around with it using dimensions I measured using google maps (56m from building to building).  Even keeping the kerbs where they are still provides space for two bike lanes and heaps of space for central loading.
Attachments:

I agree that the loss of pedestrian space, and possible confusion around bus stops could be an issue.  The cycle path could be reduced to 2.5m with low 45° kerbs, but that would be an absolute minimum, and perhaps only used near bus stops.  It's quite possible that the 2m strip adjacent to the road could be reduced to make it just wide enough for the trees, except where there is a bus stop.  As I said, I'm not sure what the volume of buses is going to be along north Terrace when the O-Bahn city access project is complete, so it might not be such an issue.  It's also worth bearing in mind that it's quite possible to widen the footpath into the garden area if necessary - and there are two footpaths.

I think it's also a little disingenuous to suggest that the demand for cycling is low along North Terrace because there are currently few cyclists.  It's a bit like saying you shouldn't bridge a crocodile infested creek because no-one is swimming it.

Paul

I have just done the survey . it's very easy  ! 

http://infrastructure.sa.gov.au/public_transport_projects/electrifi...  

Don't let them get away with it !

King William Street is an example of a road where there is ample space for safe cycling. It's a nightmare because it tries to cater for car parking and through traffic, neither of which is sensible. Separated bike lane, bus lane, car lane, tram lane. It you want the quickest route from Mitcham to Port Wakefield then don't go through the middle of town. If you want to park your car then make use of the cheapest CBD multi-story parking on the Australian mainland. 

Exactly the same applies for North Terrace. If you want to get from Thebarton to Kent Town then take the 3 lane bypass. Car throughput should not be the priority.

Anyhow I've written to Stephen Mulligan.

Dear Minister Mulligan

Trams are great but the proposed North Terrace tram extension takes no account of cyclists - this is a huge lost opportunity. Put in a separated bike lane on North Terrace and you will make it possible for so many people to move between unis, station, and city fringe high density residential. It would get cars away from what should be a showcase street in Adelaide. Through traffic should not be a priority - if you want to get across town then take the multi-lane bypass options.

King William Street is an example of a road where there is ample space for safe cycling but where DPTI has made it a car-clogged nightmare that unpleasant and crowded to walk along and unsafe to cycle. North Terrace will be the same. Try to cater for car parking and through traffic - including Port Wakefield traffic and people who have access to the cheapest CBD multi-story parking on the Australian mainland but still want to park on the road, and you spoil it for the residents, shoppers, students, businesses, pedestrians and cyclists.

There is enough space on North Terrace and King William Street for a separated bike lane, a bus lane, a car lane, and a tram lane. The city would be so much better for it - we really could capture that European city feel. The alternative is two could-be prestigious streets that continue to be car clogged transit routes. If you need help in campaigning against Anne Moran's objections then count me in.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service