Hi Bicycle Users,

We’ve heard that a new State Bike Plan may soon be coming down the path! It will replace 'Safety in Numbers’ which ran its course in 2010! The Bicycle Institute is now looking for your ideas for potential 'new Greenways' for submission to a renewed State Bike Plan. Can you help? Read on for more information....

You may recall that 'Safety in Numbers’ outlined an Adelaide Greenway Network in a map which - 12 years later - is now starting to take shape.

This initial map included routes that are now familiar to many such as the Mike Turtur and Outer Harbor Greenways. They tend to follow Adelaide’s tram and rail lines, making use of the 'railway boulevards', existing greenspace, local roads and occasionally even bits of rail and tram reserve!

Adelaide’s arterial roads act as major barriers to people dependent on walking, cycling and mobility devices. Greenways aim to overcome these barriers and allow bicycle users in particular to:
• avoid arterial roads and the hazards of heavy traffic
• provide safe crossings at main roads
• provide short-cuts and faster, more efficient and pleasant cycling routes.

The trouble is that in spatial terms, Adelaide is a large city divided up by many busy arterial roads! The Greenway routes mapped out in 2005 didn’t do a lot to assist cyclists in the north and east of the city, nor indeed in most of the outer suburbs. A Greenway Network for a city of Adelaide’s size will require many more major bicycle 'trunk routes' than the six or so identified in the initial 2005 map! And they'll need to connect outer suburbs and not just all point at the Adelaide CBD!

We want to see a vision for a Comprehensive Greenway Network in the new State Bike Plan - one that will facilitate easy and safe bicycle access for everyone – ‘8 to 80 years of age’ - right across the Adelaide Metro Area!

To accomplish this will require cyclists - you and me - to identify every available opportunity we can for potential new Greenways and ’trunk’ bikeway routes. No matter how short or how long. Government can’t do it – we have to!

These new routes do not have to be long - they could include links and pathways:
• using unused drainage or plantation reserves
• along unused sections of railway reserve
alongside major and hazardous arterial roads (including improvement of under-utilised footpaths!)
• use of pipeline reserves or local parks linking local networks and by-passing intersections.

You know your local cycling environment best! You know the unused or underutilised infrastructure. Drainage, rail and pipeline reserves, footpaths, quiet, dead-end streets backing on to parks and reserves. Things that prompt questions like… ’this could be better’ or… ‘why can’t I ride down there’?

Here’s you chance! Please let us know:
• where you think a new stretch of Greenway or bikeway would be useful?
• what existing space or reserve exists that might do the trick?
• where the new Greenway route could start and finish?
• how it would be used & how it would improve your cycling?
and…what youwant to call your 'new Greenway route'?

Email BISA at chair@bisa.asn.auor PortBUG at portadbug@gmail.comor…
…reply below to this ‘New Greenways?’ post or at BISA's facebook page.

Please let us know your hopes and dreams for new Greenways and Bikeways across Adelaide!" There’s no time limit to this ‘8-80 Project’ so… keep riding, looking and thinking!

Views: 889

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"2. Yes. A handy option is to cross Main Road and go up the little street next to the railway to come out on Coromandel Parade. There is already a route with way finding signage from there through Hawthorndene to Belair National Park."

Can that be done legally in the "towards Belair" direction? Because according to Google Maps, there is a big red "Wrong Way, Go Back" sign (if trying to enter Station Road from Main Road, near the train crossing).

I think Dave means Murray St not Station Rd.

At least according to Google Maps, it's called Station Road all the way through the car park. Anyway, regardless of the name, I thought it might be a useful way to avoid the roundabout if cycling up Main Road from Coromandel Valley or Hawthorndene, or even if coming along Coromandel Parade (by going Murray St - Station Road - Station Ave). If cyclists who live that way disagree, feel happy to ignore :) (I don't live that way any more; but did for many years, so I know the area pretty well).

Would a switchback for the Lynton track to bring it down to less than 20% be do-able?

A cycling route (rather than greenway) which is kilometres long.
Gawler Greenway to Devonport Bikeway to bikedirect Belford Av to bikedirect Myrtle St to bikedirect Kintore Av to Cooper St to bikedirect Derlanger Av to Stephen Tce with on-road bike lanes to Osmond Tce with on-road bike lanes.
It requires wayfinding signage, Cooper St categorised as a bikedirect route, and installation of missing portions of bike lane on Stephen Tce.

Sounds interesting Heather - I'll need to get the map out to u/s this one...

Savvas, look at a map which shows current pedestrian lights.
At eastern end of Myrtle St, detour a few metres to use pedestrian lights to cross Prospect Rd and reach Kintore Av. At eastern end of Kintore Av, direct cyclists to use pedestrian lights to cross Main North Rd to Cooper St.
At southern end of Derlanger Av, avoid riding on Nottage Tce. Since the ‘upgrade’ of traffic lights at large intersection of Nottage Tce, Stephen Tce, North East Rd and Northcote Tce, it is no longer a viable option. (More car lanes reduce cycling space, two left turn phases per set, etc.) Ride east on the Nottage Tce footpath and around the corner to the traffic lights, to act as a pedestrian. Planners considering cyclists would at minimum have made this short section a shared path, and not built-in the poor line-of-sight at the corner.

Savvas, some of the above on-road bike lanes are 24-hr, and some are extended peak-hour but few parked vehicles.
Wish the official cycling maps indicated the bike lane operational hours.

1) Integrating the shared path along the Northern Connector:
* I have not seen any plans for crossing Port Wakefield Road between the end of the current Stuart O'Grady Bikeway and the new path
* Same - how it will safely cross Salisbury Highway and connect to South Road and any route to Port Adelaide

2) A link between Blakeview and Evanston South (and ideally beyond, both ways).
There is a partially unmade road reserve, a pipeline reserve, and a HV powerline easement. The pipeline follows Bentley Road from Potts Road in Evanston Park (where the new Gawler East link road comes out) and the reserve continues through Elizabeth Park and Elizabeth East adjacent to Midway Road.

The pipeline continues underground under Halsey and Derrick Roads. There is a bend at the metering near Hillbank OTR and it continues underground in reserves and residential streets to cross the Little Para River at the north end of Stanford Road, Salisbury Heights. The pipeline ends up adjacent to Bridge Road, but there are other ways through the eastern Salisbury suburbs except for the industrial zone from Maxwell Road to Langford Street and across the creek on its south side.

The critical part is a link on Bentley Road between Medlow Road and Tiver Road. The "low traffic" option on Cycle Instead offers a right turn onto Main North Road. Building this link would require sealing some road and unmade road reserve, and two bridges over narrow deep gullies - an ideal project for an industrial engineering and welding student project, I would have thought.

If the Gawler Greenway was built and had decent east-west connections to it, this route might be redundant, but it is a much more scenic route to recommend to cycle tourists as it is about 90m above sea level with views across the Adelaide Plains. It will eventually connect at the northern end to the Gawler East Link Road and on to the Jack Bobridge Track.

Coming from the East and working in the North, there's no existing corridors that I can really picture that would be useful. For safe protected routes, I'd happily go a bit further (ie into the city and then out to the north).

I'd love to see State and Local Gov's get serious and provide some safe and separated routes on main roads. From the East, pick Magill, Parade, Kensington or Greenhill and dedicate one lane all the way from the foothills to the CBD. Beulah road is ok on the NPSP side but crap on the Burnside road. The link from Buelah Road to Rundle is terrible too. Otherwise, some protected routes to get from Magill to linear Park.

Would like to see some work on linear park too- widen in places, try and elminate some blind corners, although if we had some more decent commuting routes, could leave that to pedestrians and families.

North From the city, I use Prospect road, but there's still plenty not to like (wrong peak hour bikes lanes for me, disappearing lanes etc etc). The path along the railway line from Brompton could be extended all the way up to Kilburn/ Grand Junction road using rail reserve?

People can campaign for what they want, but I don't think there's a realistic chance of getting a  separated bike lane on any of the major east-west roads. I think you've got a much more realistic chance getting Beulah Road up to a better standard.

You probably also want one further south and, looking at a map: Grant Ave through to Stratenborough St looks like the best bet, and also links up to the path through the Victoria Park parklands.

Thanks for all your comments and ideas folks. I'm logging them all separately and will - maybe in a few weeks - sit down and map out all of the suggestions and maybe start a process of writing them all up. So please keep them coming!

Sam.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service