Hardie Grant's publicity today included a new book on Cadel Evans aimed at kids 10-15 yrs.

A biography of cycling star, Cadel Evans, written for children  aged 10 to 15 years
  June; Hardie Grant Books; $16.95
When Cadel Evans won the Tour de France in 2011, he not only became a star to sports fans all over the world, but a hero to thousands of Australian children who watched him make his victorious ride through the Champs-Elysees. Children all over Australia had a new sportsperson to inspire them to achieve. Cadel was born with an incredible gift: the capacity and power that from youth set him apart from the rest. But nothing comes from talent alone, as most great sports people will admit, there must also be hard work, determination and passion. Even in the face of difficulty. Cadel Evans mastered mountain biking in his teens and subsequently became a world champion. Now in his 30s he is the winner of the toughest race in the world, the Tour de France. In Giving His Best we learn how Cadel Evans’ passion, ambition and hard work led to his success. Written in a clear and simple, easy-to-read format accessible to children and adults alike, it’s for anyone who wants to read about Cadel’s early achievements - and how hard work eventually won him the most famous race in the world.

But if that's not for you there is also...
A layman’s guide to The Tour de France, essential for any tour follower
June; SBS; $24.95
The Tour de France, the ultimate test of sporting endurance, is an event full of highs and lows. Pain, deaths and horrific injuries. Joy, excitement and unbelievable achievements. But how does it all work? For the millions of people who watch the Tour de France every year, the tactics can be something of a mystery: cyclists drop in and out of the lead, sprinters disappear only to reappear and the stage, mountains destroy some and make others stars. And Paul Hansford clarifies just what is going on and why. We learn the ins and outs of the language used, the people who have made it great, the current crop of potential winners … and those that have brought it into disrepute.

Views: 535

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hope this isn't considered to be a hijack. The book I'm currently reading is Pedal Power (great bicycle journeys) by Roy Sinclair. If you've ever had a desire to tour New Zealand, Japan, tour the End to End in the UK, France or Switzerland this book might be of interest, but I couldn't describe it as an exciting/enthralling read.

I take Matt Rendell's "Blazing Saddles - the cruel and unusual history of the TdF" with me on all my long international flights. It's an easy to read, funny and factual summary of the last 110 years of the event, even if the section spanning 1999 to 2005 now requires a re-write to remove the fictional parts.

Yes, I have that too. That and A Race for Madmen are both great reads before the Tour to get you into the zone.

I've read 'French Revolutions' by Tim Moore. He decides to jump on a bike and have a go at completing the tour de france route just weeks before the pro's. It's a pretty light hearted read and good account of the physical and mental struggles to complete such a feat.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/French-Revolutions-Cycling-Tour-France/dp/1...

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service