motorbike lane filtering permitted from 15-Apr-2017

When crossing a street between stopped cars, look for 'filtering' motor bikes.

Motorbike riders to be permitted to 'lane filter' – News release by Peter Malinauskas, Minister for Road Safety on 22-Mar-2017 – http://www.premier.sa.gov.au/index.php/peter-malinauskas-news-relea...
From 15-Apr-2017, motorbike riders in SA permitted to ride between stopped or slow-moving cars.
• Lane filtering will only be permitted when it is safe to do so
• Lane filtering is only permitted when travelling 30 km/h or slower
• Only riders holding a full R licence or R-Date licence are permitted to lane filter (the laws exclude provisional and learner drivers)
• Lane filtering is not permitted in school zones or on crossings, next to parked cars, between vehicles and the kerb, or on roundabouts
• Lane filtering is not permitted in bicycle, bus or tram lanes
Riders who fail to comply with any of these conditions may face a $363 expiation fee and the imposition of three licence demerit points.

Motorbike riders allowed to lane filter on South Australian roads – Published by ABC News on 22-Mar-2017 – http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-03-22/motorcyclist-allowed-to-weave...

SA motorcycle riders to be allowed to "lane filter" – By Bension Siebert – Published by InDaily on 22-Mar-2017 – http://indaily.com.au/news/local/2017/03/22/sa-motorcycle-riders-to...

Views: 623

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I have been "lane filtering" for years on my various push-bikes - how does this affect me?
Other than perhaps legitimize my cycling habits. No, I do not like riding between parked cars and grid locked ones. I tend to go up the centre.

I assume your first line is a typo. Motorcyclists will be able to lane filter (not lane split). That is, they will be able go between two stationary (or "slow-moving", whatever than means) cars.

Regarding rossmg's question of lane filtering between two rows of stopped (not parked) cars on a bicycle - I can't find a road rule one way or the other. ARR 141 (the one which forbids undertaking, except on a bicycle) doesn't make it clear that bicycles exemption is only for the leftmost lane. But I'm willing to be corrected on that.

When Ross wrote of his 'lane filtering', was he referring to riding between parked and stopped cars? He does not clearly state that he rides between two rows of stopped cars where 4 or more lanes.

Ross writes that he definitely does not like riding between parked and stopped cars. That he usually 'goes up the centre', which sounds more like 'claiming the lane'.

Can't claim the lane when it's grid locked ;-)

Example - The Parade heading east - I will often cycle between the two lanes of grid locked cars. Not between the parked cars and the grid locked ones in the left lane. Minimizes getting doored and often there is a bit more space as well.

Its amazing the number of people who don't look for cycles when crossing between lanes of stopped traffic. Over the years I have nearly cleaned up numerous people failing to look out for cyclists.
Thanks for the heads up regarding the lane filtering. As a regular motor cycle user one of my biggest fears is being rear ended by inattentive or substance effected car drivers.

Lane filtering by motorcyclists has been legal for some time interstate, without adverse consequences.  It has been a long-standing practice here, even though illegal. 

(One of my sons regularly rides a motorbike in peak-hour traffic.)

yep, Sydney's definitely had it for years now- as I driver, cyclist and pedestrian when I lived there I never had any issues. Never heard of any issues either other than some drivers whining it's not fair that motorbikes can go to the front of the queue. 

As long as they are not filtering down the bike lane  like I've seen more than a few times lately .

I saw a motorbike with an L plate stopped in the bike lane this morning, in line with the gap between the second and third cars back at the traffic lights. I didn't see how he/she got there, but accepted that once that is where they were, they should have moved to the front in the bike lane and taken off from there to merge back into the traffic. The m-bike was positioned well to the right in the bike lane, so I suspect the rider knew that they were in the wrong place, but had been squeezed out of getting back to where they wanted to be.

Last Friday I encountered illegal motorbike filtering via a bike lane.

It's Question Time and I've just asked Minister Malinauskas about whether a variation of this new law might also be considered for cyclists. 

It is already legal for cyclists to overtake stationary vehicles in the left lane as they wait for the traffic lights.  You have to pass on the left, not the right.  However many of us (I make no admissions) also "lane filter" to get to the head of a dedicated right hand turn lane or just to get to the head of the traffic when it's not safe or convenient to ride up the kerbside lane.

I think it makes sense to pass similar laws for cyclists as those just passed for motor cyclists.  It would probably need to be limited to situations where traffic is stationary at traffic lights.  I'd be interested in any ideas on this.

I'll let people know if I get a considered answer from the Minister, but don't hold your breath.

Mark Parnell MLC, Parliamentary Leader, Greens SA

Thank-you Mark, what you have suggested sounds sensible. As always ride to the conditions and when the conditions are safer over in that corridor of the road then that's the bit I tend to use.

I'll paint something blue, maybe that will help the minister ;-)

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service