A while ago I started a discussion about building a commuter bike for my partner, using a NuVinci N360. Key considerations for the build was a comfortable, easy to ride bike, suited to daily commuting about 5km each way, can be ridden in pants or skirt, casual or professional clothes and low mainteance. I was looking at what frame to use, with a preference for a stepthrough or mixte. In the end I settled on a semi-custom order from Legacy Frameworks

This project doesn't fall into the budget build category and would certainly push the limits of what most people are prepared to pay for a sit-up style bike. But it's intend as a long term bike, used almost daily as an alterntive to a car and public transport. 

The bike will be;

It should end up looking similar to this

Below are a couple of shots of the nearly finished frame. You can see the tabs that have been welded onto the fork and chainstay to hold the roller brake torque arm.

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thats gonna be a sweet ride. Lovely frame and bars you chose. Shiny rims?

I'd do a few things differently with the components (if I may be so bold...). Leather or cotton bar wrap instead of rubber. Maybe even that stitched elk hide that you can get from Constructeur. And a leather saddle to match. I've got a cambium on on my road bikes and its very nice but for a upright bike a brooks city saddle, maybe with suspension, might be more comfortable.

And a sogreni bell (if money is no object). ;)

Hi Guy, the rims have a satin finish. Polished rims and leather or cotton grips with a leather seat, whould have given the bike a much more classic look, but as the bike is running a belt drive I thought I would add a few more modern components. The satin rims will not show the dirt and dust as much (I don't think my partner will spend a lot of time polishing the bike), the grips were mainly to keep the red colour plus ease of care and the cambium saddle over a leather saddle so it could be ridden withoy a breakin period plus ease of care,

Like!  Frame looks like a cross between a traditional step-through and a mixte.  The tubes from the seat-tube to the seat stays will eliminate the serious weak spot in "normal" step-through frames - the tendency of the seat tube to bend around the top tube attachment.

BTW, red goes faster, and is easier to pedal. :)

Good one.  A regularly used commuter need never be a budget project. Years ago when I built my own commuter, based on an MTB frame, I was questioned by some work mates as to why I had spent $1500 on a bike to ride to work. The questions stopped when I asked how much they had spent on the car that they drove to work every day !

The bike is basically ready for shipping to Australia, any recomendations for an import broker?

When it arrives, I just have to add the rear rack, dynamo lights and swap out the stock pedals.

Coooool! :)

What pedals will you add?

Hi Guy, either a quill pedal, or a subtle platform.

If I use a platform it would be the VP69

If quill then maybe the following

MKS BM-7

All City Wallner Pro

Vello Orange

BM-7s are great! I'm putting them on a retro-build I doing now.If you going a bit more modern then I like the VP69s. Or what about the VO touring pedals? 

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service