How to Commute Adelaide (tips on riding safe - contributions welcome)

So a big part of my riding journey (which involved a little bit of road biking, but now primarily commuting) has been watching videos that other riders have posted and thinking about how I could avoid potential issues they may have faced, what could be done better, how I might approach a particular situation etc. There are heaps of places in Adelaide I haven't ridden as I commute mostly from the east and through the CBD, sop its nice to see other parts of Adelaide and any issues riders may face.

I guess this is intended as an educational tool for new and/or established riders, but by no means do I think my riding is perfect, and I'd like to think this thread could be a place for constructive criticism. So if you do collect video and have an instructional video feel free to post it in here for feedback or for educative purposes. 

One video I really enjoyed was Ruddagers, where he detailed some tips on commuting in traffic. I hope you don't mind me reposting it here, if so, let me know!

Here is a recent video I made with similar observations and ideas

Views: 3531

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Don't recall if AC directed me to this link re hi-vis not the answer.
Cannot solve drivers' inattentional blindness and its promotion has failed
By Cian Ginty, and published by Irish Cycle on 16-Jan-2015.
http://irishcycle.com/2015/01/16/high-vis-cant-solve-drivers-inatte...

In my my inbox this morning was an email telling me that the MAC Be Safe Be Seen campaign just won a road safety award, so we're still not getting it! The award was sponsored by Caltex though.

There are two different aspects to hi-viz - how easy it is to find something you're looking for, and the ability of something you're not looking for to grab your attention. Cyclists probably fall in the latter category for a lot of drivers.

Hi-viz gear increases the likelihood that a driver will detect a cyclist, but it does not guarantee that the driver will respond appropriately (i.e., give way).

One last thing, when it comes to hi-viz, white is a great choice if you don't want to wear fluoro yellow.

I agree Rusty. Ride like you are invisible but be as visible as possible. I have the right to wear black riding gear but I know that I increase my chances of being seen if I wear light coloured or high vis gear. So should I focus on my rights or what will reduce my risk of injury or death?

Cars moving across the bike lane, even turning left without doing a head check is often the norm, not the exception. This is a real problem when people try to turn left in stop/start traffic - they don't look and they assume that nothing is coming.

Even in free flowing traffic, many drivers (like the woman who nearly ran me over the other day) assume that the moment they are past you, that you will forever be 'way behind' and thus don't need to do a head check.

I don't really believe in "high vis", in all my experience of hits and near misses, the driver didn't even look in the first place (blind spot with no mirror or head check), or saw, but made a bad decision anyway (many drivers are really bad at judging cyclist traveling speed).

Some tips for commuting with other cyclists:

If you're slower keep left so you're easier and safer to pass, and please don't shoal at the traffic lights.

... I'm starting to sound like a car driver now!

Assuming you are a commuter rather than a serious road rider:

Plan and improve your journey, and look for bike paths and back streets. I am fortunate that on my commute the train and tram tracks provide a natural route. I'm not sure how that works in the east where there are no trains or trams. But at least for me, I've worked out a route from the NE corner of the city to the SW suburbs, where I'm only on a main-road-without-a-real-bike-lane for about 1 block.

Not all bike lanes are equal. Some are nice and wide, others are too narrow and/or disappear at critical moments. So again it's about planning.

Got to say that this is one of the valuable things about Adelaide Cyclists for me -- searching Google for routes almost always comes back to questions asked on this forum.

It's interesting to see how our dear own Cycle Instead beats Google Maps hands down for choosing the better route for cycling.

Here's an example of drivers not looking.

I hadn't used a hand signal when the car started his left turn into Angas St, but he may have seen me .

But the second time he definitely didn't, just blindly did a u-turn without indicating. He yelled out to me that there was no bike lane, after he'd done it.

http://youtu.be/02IGrQ88_f0

Can report dangerous driving by phoning SAPOL Traffic Watch on 131 444, or at any police station.
https://www.police.sa.gov.au/your-safety/road-safety/report-dangero...

The U-turn without indicating obviously breaches ARR.
Earlier the driver started the turn left without fully being in the left lane. Reckon a breach of ARR, as only long vehicles like trucks permitted to turn left from a middle lane. Anyway, by starting the turn from your right, made it hard for you to see indicators, and could breach ARR about giving sufficient indicator warning.
When a driver yells at cyclist while showing ignorance near vulnerable road user, the driver could benefit from a police phone call reminder of road rules.

Have to agree here, a call or letter from the police could maybe make them think twice about doing something reckless or stupid in the future. Maybe not, but it can't hurt. A couple of Saturday mornings ago I was driving down Jerningham St across Melbourne St where the Lion Hotel is. Just before the intersection a car was looking for a park in the left (without indicator on of course). A 40- or 50-something male in a $150,000+ Porsche decides that he can't wait so he takes off down the wrong side of the road, through the intersection, all at 80kph+. It was 10am on a Saturday morning. I pulled up behind him at the lights on Hackney Rd at which point he decided he couldn't wait again and swerved into the bus lane and made an illegal turn on red into North Tce extension. Absolute d**khead. I called the police and filed a report, hopefully the w*nker gets a call or letter. Probably won't make a difference but can't hurt. One dangerous swerve out like that without looking up the wrong side of the road could easily kill someone in an instant.

Felt like it was Idiot Day today. Here's all the stuff that happened to me in a 600m stretch on the start of my commute this morning:

My tip? Check your calendar for Idiot Day - I obviously missed it.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service