How to Commute Adelaide (tips on riding safe - contributions welcome)

So a big part of my riding journey (which involved a little bit of road biking, but now primarily commuting) has been watching videos that other riders have posted and thinking about how I could avoid potential issues they may have faced, what could be done better, how I might approach a particular situation etc. There are heaps of places in Adelaide I haven't ridden as I commute mostly from the east and through the CBD, sop its nice to see other parts of Adelaide and any issues riders may face.

I guess this is intended as an educational tool for new and/or established riders, but by no means do I think my riding is perfect, and I'd like to think this thread could be a place for constructive criticism. So if you do collect video and have an instructional video feel free to post it in here for feedback or for educative purposes. 

One video I really enjoyed was Ruddagers, where he detailed some tips on commuting in traffic. I hope you don't mind me reposting it here, if so, let me know!

Here is a recent video I made with similar observations and ideas

Views: 3250

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

funny that, l'm wearing a blonde mullet over mine, the look in coppers eyes when they see its a helmet  priceless

Oh no, not another anti-mhl white ant.

I didn't actually refer to the MHL, other than a reference to the cost of not wearing a helmet, but since you bring it up I'll respond by saying that if the topic of this thread is commuting cyclist safety then pro-MHL advocates would be the white ants. Thankfully you don't actually get many pro-MHL advocates in cycling forums, just a lot of cyclists indifferent to the problem. 

I believe in MHL and that the earth is round, I don't bother discussing these issues with those with an opposing view.

But I bet you have never bicycled on the opposite side of our round planet. 

Yes I have, well approximately on the opposite side, but I wasn't wearing a helmet.

And you accept that the countries over there without MHL, which is all of them, have higher rates of cycling and lower cycling injury rates?

I think I was right about spotting an anti-mhl white ant Clive. And I think you were right in you preference in not engaging with them.

oh c'mon, don't be so obtuse. You are Clive have both independently raised the issue. No point being on a forum if you can't engage.

Name calling just indicates you don't have a good position. 

I think the pro and anti MHL debate is much better placed in it's own thread - all agree?

Hi Stretts, sorry for some reason I can't reply to your reply, so I'm replying to myself in response (if you get what I mean.)

While I agree that discussing the complexities of MHLs is better in its own thread, I think its valid here for a couple of reasons:

1. Clive and Peter have raised the issue themselves - if they really weren't interested in a discussion they would not have responded or mentioned it at all. 

2. Its directly relevant to commuting and utility cycling safety. 

I think its also good to discuss it in threads of general interest. IMO too many cyclists aren't interested in reading about it specifically, but its a topic of urgent importance to all cyclists. 

Also tried to reply but cannot for some reason - valid argument Guy, and I have been swayed - feel free to continue debating with civility :)

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service