GG Ride Report 4: How few riders must you have on a group ride to have repeated breakaways and peloton chases?

Fewer than seven is the answer. 

This morning’s ride was somewhat in the shadow of other rides this week, holidays overseas and the ongoing Adelaide Great Plague epidemic.

Nevertheless, seven keen and hardy souls enjoyed a pleasant burn of the ‘burbs.  Lisa, Paul, Roger…, Baz, Clive, Dean and LR met up at Prices Bakery (most made it on time) for the customary pre-ride briefing and safety notices.

In the absence of regular leader, Gemma, there was a deafening clamour of volunteers for road leader and TEC.  Eventually order returned and a victor announced.

The ride started with the leader in the middle of the main bunch and belted down the Grove Way (T&F time).  The road leader finished this last.  From there the pack turned south and Bridge Road and Briens Road were soon despatched.  Said despatching stretched the peloton over some hundreds of kilometres so a planned regroup was held just south of Grand Junction Road on Hampstead Road.

Off again and down Ascot Avenue to Portrush Road.  The peloton again stretched to breaking now over an immense difference.  So, another regroup at Marden.  Lower North East was next to bear the brunt of the immense pack but its sneaky climbs really began to test the group’s bond’s elasticity. 

After regrouping, a number of riders took a head start (declared legal by the stewards on the day) and when they were out of sight – the massive peloton chased them down.  The catch being at the roundabout at LNE Rd and Hancock Road.   Before the poursuivants had taken properly partaken of refreshment, the breakaway split off again.  Again the peloton had to chase hard to complete the catch at Hancock and Yatala Vale Roads.

From here it was a simple group ride back along YV Road onto the Grove Way for coffee and lengthy reminiscing.

I’ll hand over to my fellow riders for further embellishment:

Maybe Roger … can explain why he is the “Soothsayer”.  Whatever we said – it happened to him...

Maybe someone can explain why three out of seven riders wore CVSA jerseys......

Maybe Mick from GW can tell us what he yelled at some of us from his car window!!

Maybe someone knows how far or fast we went....

Sorry there are no pictures – but I didn’t have any film in my mobile phone.  The group needs to work on this bit...

Sorry there are no nice bold, capitalised and coloured captions – but I’m not Frank or Pete.

Sorry most of you missed a REALLY AWESOME ride.

Views: 404

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Some people read the words others look at the pretty pictures and pretty colors.

This probably has nothing to do with how good they are at riding a bike.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service