Aloha

The day began with a bit of a chill, and the promise of some north easterly winds. So we knew we would have a favourable wind on the outward bound leg, but some grinding winds on the way back. Well it was a flat ride, so a bit of a bit of a challenge never hurts you, (much).

Again we had strong numbers, with 43 riders out. We had two options, a return trip on the SOB, or a run out to Virginia, then a loop around Edinburgh, for a 63 K run. In the end every one choose to do the Virginia loop, and when we got back to the SOB, decide whether to do the long loop or loop straight back to Gawler. It proved to be a very popular ride.

There was a bit of a strange start though, with one rider just turning up as we were leaving. He said he would catch up, and after a bit of a wait at the start of the SOB, Dave decided to go back and find him. Unfortunately he couldn’t be found. Dave eventually caught up with us at Virginia, but commented that we must have been hooting along as he was having a devil of a time to catch up with us.

And here are a few pictures from Virginia.

After leaving Virginia, we all took it very cautiously along Penfield Road. This is one with a lot of pot holes, patches of gravel, plus there was a bit of traffic to deal with. Once we hit the SOB about eight chose to return straight home. They had a good run of it, although the wind kept every one honest. Luckily this route returns via Angle Vale Road, so less time batting away in to the wind. Thanks to Mic for being the TEC for that loop.

A large group headed off for their loop and kept up a steady pace. When we eventually reached the SOB again at Petherton Road gate, the wind really had built up. So it was a matter of getting in to groups and taking turns out front, which everyone was able to do. Plus with the return run including Angle Vale road, we were all back at the bakery in very slick time. Well done to everyone, it was good solid riding.

The day was essentially without incident, although Keith did pick up the inconvenience award for the day. Just before he was ready to head off home ( with a tail wind), he noticed he had a flat. At least it didn’t go flat out on the road, if it had,  the award would have been elevated to the hard luck award for the day.

We also had an opportunity to wish four of our Gawler Wheelers family well, who are off to Hawaii for the Ironman event. They have all been training extremely hard over the last 20 months or so. Putting  in the big Ks on the bike, huge distances on the water, and pounding out the runs. Your commitment and application has been a true inspiration. Hopefully we will be able to keep up to date of your event, which we all are confident you will do very well in.

Below are three of the four, Karen, Alistair and Andrea. Unfortunately Jane wasn’t able to ride this morning as she was off doing a 75 K bike ride and a 10 k run. Well done Jane.

So Karen, Alistair, Andrea and Jane, we all wish you a great adventure and success in the race

So until next week

Safe riding

Cheers

Paul K.

Gawler Wheelers: Winners of the Gawler Australia Day Community Group of the Year Award 2013

To join the Gawler Wheelers click here

Views: 1106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

LOVE IT can't wipe the smile off my face. 

Great vides Fred. Your filming is not quite focused Im thinking. Isn't Linda ment to be on the chick train? Ha ha

All the best to the Hawaii guys and gals. Have fun.

great video Fred

This was the ride with Gawler Wheelers before heading off to Hawaii for our first 70.3 Ironman event. It has been great training with Karen, Andrea and Jane when I had the time through Vintage whitch made training a little difficult. But have put in some big weeks in lately to catch up with the swimming,running and cycling so do hope all the training pays off. Thank you to all those who have wished me luck and support for the event and will keep you updated. Also was very surprised with Paul and Davids presentation of the Gawler Wheelers Badges thankyou.

The ride was great on the weekend having some fun with different groups along the way. Got to say the legs were feeling it after my run on Friday up Medlow road a 10km route, but was still able to get out front and share the load when on the train. Thanks to all I road with and the good wishes you passed on. See you all when we get back from Hawaii.

Just like to say a huge thanks to Paul and Dave for getting our badges made up, it was a lovely gesture. We will be sure to take a photo of us in our GW jerseys with the badge loud and proud.

We had a very cruisey first half of the ride enjoying a bit of chick train fun along the way. The way back was a little tougher. I tried to hang onto the lead group but got left behind at one of the crossings and couldnt fight my way back. Thanks Tash and Sue for scooping me up on the way through, that was a tough little section of SOB and Angle Vale rd. 

Thanks for all your well wishes and we will see you when we get back

Aloha

Very enjoyable video Fred.

Wooh Hoo!! Go Linda go!

Al, what is the date for the actual event?? Also is there a website for the event?

All the best to Andrea, Jane, Karen and Al on your Hawaii Triathlon event and adventure.

Stay safe over there and don't forget to keep us informed on your journey. Photos welcome!!

See you all when you get back.

Thank you Frank. The actual event is on the 4th June. We will post photos. Aloha

Goodluck to Alistair,Karen,Andrea and Jane on there ironman in Hawaii

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service