Do you know of any compliant bollards in the Adelaide City Council?

Bollards are often irritating, and many of us have damaged our bikes or ourselves by hitting a bollard. After a cyclist was killed last year by hitting a bollard in Goolwa, BISA has decided enough is enough, and is campaigning to get dangerous and unreasonably obstructive bollards removed.

The item aroused the “disappointment” of the Adelaide City Council, so to be fair to them, we are trying to find one of their bollards that meets standards set for bollards. A midi-sized Haighs chocolate frog will go to someone who identifies such a bollard. But if none is identified, the frog will go to the person who identifies the worst bollard anywhere in South Australia.

More to the point, we will campaign to get it removed!

Bollards posted in this discussion (good and bad) will be considered an entry.  

Read more about the competition on the BISA website.  Entries close 17 April.

Here are the standards to make a bollard compliant.  There is another requirement  - that it should meet a proven need - but we are ignoring that one.  It would make it even harder to find a compliant bollard.

Views: 1726

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the tip, if this rain continues I'll find that out shortly.

They are also so placed as to give a very poor transit line onto the bike path (the red bit) up Frome Road when one comes from Plane Tree Drive past the current entrance to the zoo.

Yes, I certainly agree.
One is faced with a broken line wondering where to "pop" through.

I actually saw someone clip one of these bollards this morning. They were approaching slowly from Plane Tree drive, letting a bunch of bikes (including me) crossing Frome road to get clear of the intersection area, and they clipped a bollard as they went through. Luckily they didn't fall off.

For what it's worth, these were far worse. Originally they had square corners, like they are for the rest of the fence. A complaint to the Botanic Gardens (who are responsible for them) got them fixed to this level.

Not in ACC: Road crossings on the Nuriootpa-Angaston rail trail.

Each road crossing has a pair of U-frames offset from each other blocking the entire path. The chevron infills are relatively recent and will improve the visibility, but they still fail several of the other points such as tactile advance warnings and distance from adjacent fixtures. Even just painting the direction arrow after the barrier instead of pointing into it could help!

https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.5028882,139.0231075,3a,75y,248h...!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sU1PqHvXLuYg06YqtuRdhjw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.4952159,139.0129971,3a,75y,161....!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s41dJemkkZh38-4JoMN0qOA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.4952309,139.0129362,3a,75y,314....!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0o_6_kssY789OjRwh_kFRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-34.4845163,139.0041881,3a,75y,158....!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s6g3fOsOmg6fTTwT3j6IG1Q!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

I followed the first of those google map links and:

So as above in my first post to this thread - vehicular traffic can clearly and simply drive around the bollards - what purpose do those purport to serve?

I assume it is to force cyclists to notice that they are about to cross a road.

As you note about vehicles driving round the rails and fences, that one at least might be the quickest solution on a mountain bike, too!

Jack Bobridge track marks road crossings with a line of terracotta knobbly paving bricks and a grab rail on the left side of the path. It probably has a higher proportion of "faster" cyclists, and far less obvious warning for drivers. It does have bends in the track just before most of the road crossings that would slow cyclists down, and the scenery change makes the road crossings more obvious than they would be on the Angaston track.

Oops - posting late at night - I meant the Stuart O'Grady Bikeway uses the paving bricks.

Jack Bobridge track does all sorts of things, including stobie poles in the middle of the path in a few places, but its road crossings are generally painted with a giveway line and bike-sized giveway signs and don't have the barriers of this earlier path built by the same council.

Playford does the giveway signs and "road ahead" signs on shared paths, but nothing on the ground that I recall. I have no idea about other shared paths in Light.

Stuart O'Grady Bikeway as it stands is pretty much an exercise track (bikes, runners, dogs) as there would be very few meaningful journeys for which it is the sensible route. Maybe a few more now that Bunnings is nearby, but it isn't really condusive to ride over the bridge from the Bikeway to Bunnings for less-confident riders.

I guess this is ACC area, corner of Le Fevre Tce and Barton Tce East.
The bollards are kind of leaning in and when cycling through you end up kind of "ducking through"..

Yes, that's ACC, and they are bollards that have annoyed me too.  I suppose at least they are visible.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service