The June Pedal Update has on the front a photo of Ninth Avenue, Bowden, as an example of a Council allowing contra-flow cycling using signs only.  (i.e. no bike lanes or kerbing at the ends of the street.

This is the text:

Here is an example of a narrow one-way street where cyclists are allowed to ride in the opposite direction (“contra-flow”) simply by the addition of a sign under the N0 ENTRY sign saying, “bicycles excepted”.  This is Ninth Street in Bowden, part of the City of Charles Sturt.  Unley and Hindmarsh Bay also have examples of contra-flow cycling supported by signs only.  Tell usif you know of other examples.

Whether Councils do this or not is up to them.  The only Australian guidance that we know of is provided by the NSW government’s Technical Direction: Signposting for contra-flow bicycle facilities. 

“If the road space is too narrow to permit a marked bicycle lane and there is good sight distance, motor traffic volumes and speeds are low and the road geometry does not present an unacceptable safety risk, the contra- flow movement can be provided by signage alone.”

Clearly, Ninth Street fits the bill – as do many other quiet residential streets in Adelaide. It’s time the other councils caught up.

Does anyone know of contra-flow cycling using signs only in SA?  Someone suggested a bit of Seaview Road at Tennyson, but Google street view didn't show this.

Views: 409

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nairne Terrace, Goodwood (alongside Goodwood Railway Station). Charlotte St, Adelaide. Castle St, Adelaide (those last 2 almost adjoin each other, linking Frome St to South Terrace).

There is also one on Lyons Parade, just south of Goodwood Railway station. I can't see it on Google Street View, but think it is a "no exit, bicycles excepted" sign at the southern (Victoria Street) end. 

Fuller St/Church Tce intersection, Walkerville has a short one. Link

So there's another council that does it that I didn't know about: Walkerville.  

Thanks, Ian

From the picture (rather than on-site inspection) the above street in Walkerville appears to be a two-way street (rather than contra-flow for the whole length). Just 'no entry' to motor vehicles at one end. Note the parked vehicles facing in both directions, and what might be vehicle lane marking in the distance.

Examples of 'no right turn, bicycles excepted' include:
-- bikedirect Kintore Av, Prospect, at the western entrance (but drivers ignore the sign)
-- bikedirect Myrtle St, Prospect, at the eastern entrance (but drivers ignore the sign).

Or 'no left turn, bicycles excepted' include:
-- bikeway Braund Rd, Prospect, at the southern entrance (but drivers ignore the sign).

Yeah, you're probably right. (Damn...)  Google maps doesn't show it as one-way.

In the SW corner of Adelaide (city): Little Sturt St, Chatham St, Russell St, Compton St.

They are good treatments, but expensive (the Russell St route cost over $80,000 in infrastructure).  I'm hoping that ACC will start following Unley, Holdfast Bay, Charles Sturt (and now Walkerville, yey!) in just putting in signs for most of their many one way streets.  (Or they could copy Burnside in not having one-way streets unless absolutely essential.

There are several roads like this between the markets and south terrace.

Umm, how about which streets would be good to have contra-flow?

Margaret St, North Adelaide?

York St, Adelaide?

Clifford St, Prospect? etc ...

Margaret Street would be very popular, especially with the Frome Bikeway reaching Melbourne Street and climbing up to Brougham Tce.  I'm pretty sure the landowners/ tenants on the first bit to Ward Street wouldn't mind, but when Council tried to create Margaret Street as a cycling route in the past, residents stopped it.  Interestingly, I think the strongest opposition came from the Housing Trust tenants between Archer Street and Tynte Street.  But I went along to a public consultation exercise and saw quite a lot of opposition from residents to the idea of the Council spending quite a lot of money to make their street nicer and more traffic calmed.  

A survey of residents on Castle Street and Charlotte Street on the Frome Bikeway found that they liked what the Council did, and liked having more cyclists on the streets.

Lowe St, which would nicely continue Little Sturt St and Chatham St.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service