I'm putting together a case to encourage concrete companies to avoid driving with unsecured loads when transporting concrete.

If you know of any location where concrete has hardened on road after been dropped from a cement truck, can you post the location or photo on this thread..

The below pic is from King William and Hindley.

For those that don't know about why this happens..

Cement trucks hold the cement in by reversing the Cement Barrel which pulls the cement to the front of the truck by a screw channel. this method works ok except for when the truck is going up hill or taking off from the lights too quickly. If this happens the concrete flows backward out of the barrel and then directed to the left of the road.

When wet it creates an expensive splatter hazard for cars and bikes paintwork.

when hardened it becomes a permanent cycling hazard, especially when they are located at the base of a climb.

My hope is to get enough photos to hopefully encourage trucks to put an overspill bag on their trucks rather than leaving it for councils to clean up.

Views: 396

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It really is just a form of littering. If caught "in the act" I guess the cops can fine them?

Morgan Road, Ironbank (the steepest section).

Shepherds Hill Rd, the up lane beside the Sturt Rd bridge.  Been there about 40 years, and still a nuisance.

Beat me to it.  This hazard is one reason I avoid this section.  I use the longer, but roughly parallel Hillcrest Drive.

I reported the Shepherds Hill Rd cement hazard to authorities in about 2010.
Sometimes authorities are slow to act on cycling hazards.

I have found the ACC to be fairly good at cleaning up concrete spills if it is reported to them while the concrete is still wet.  They will send out their quick response team and a road sweeper.

Good on you for taking up this campaign.  I think there are two aspects: 1) stopping new hazards; and 2) fixing up existing hazards. 

As David commented, the bottom of Shepherds Hill Rd has a horrible drizzle of dried concrete in exactly the spot a cyclist would ride.  It forces cyclists to ride wider than they would like, which puts them in harms way from cars and trucks accelerating up the hill to a tricky merge point.  Motorists are concentrating on merging right, not cyclists on their left. 

I don't expect it would be too hard to grind the concrete back down to road level. Isn't that what they do with rough footpaths?  Might the same equipment do the job?

Mark - that is a great idea, "grind it back down to road level".

I'm surprised it is not being actioned already.

Equal2Lance2, this is a public post. So guess you won't mind if I promote your project in the next BUG Enews, which you receive.

No  I don't mind. I'm still collecting photos. I know I've seen more spills on flat roads but I cant find them at the moment.

The other day I noticed a whole lot of hardened dollops of something spread along Churchill Rd North, heading south between Cormack Rd and Cavan Rd.  Impossible to avoid as there were so many in some places.  Not pleasant at 35kph.

Just had a look a the map and that location is just around the corner of the Boral Concrete works. This is what I'm looking for, if they're spilling concrete as soon as they leave the factory it's clearly an unsecured load problem and not a random incident.

Definitely need some photos of these roads.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service