After the intro, some pertinent links to AC discussions, but not all links. Please add your experiences.
Please report your bicycle-vehicle collisions to police, even if your injuries appear minor:
-- Your full injuries could be masked at the time by adrenalin, shock and pain (know from personal experience)
-- A delay in realising full injuries and reporting can lead to hassles in getting medical bills reimbursed (know from personal experience)
-- Let police officially warn the errant person and thus encourage him to improve his driving
-- Give authorities a better indication of cycling collisions, hazards and need for improvement
What to do in an accident. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/page/what-to-do-in-an-accident
SA road trauma compensation laws were changed in Jul-2013.
http://www.ghostbikes.org -- white bicycles left at scenes of cyclist deaths
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php -- Ride of Silence remembers cyclists who died due to road trauma
http://www.woj.com.au -- Wheels of Justice includes info re lawyer Eugene McGee who killed Ian Humphrey in a hit-run in 2003
DTEI / DPTI posts online yearly Road Safety Progress Reports, stating approximately __ cyclists killed, and __ cyclists injured.
Government data supports that cyclists are safer road users than drivers. In 2010 in SA 51% of drivers considered responsible, c.f. with 30% of cyclists. Be aware that a study using bike helmet cams indicates that authorities incorrectly blame cyclists. More info in AC group Look For Cyclists at http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/group/lookforcyclists/forum/topics/...
The 73yo male cyclist died in RAH.
176. On Tuesday 30-Aug-2016 in North Adelaide, AC member Mark H hit when a car turned right across his path. Fortunately injuries were relatively minor. Photo of Mark H sailing over the bonnet at
177. On 13-Dec-2016 and Amy Gillett Bikeway at Woodside, four cyclists including Pete HumF encountered a bicycle fitted with combustion engine. A cyclist seriously injured. On 9-Jan-2017 still in spinal ward, in and out of ICU, and several operations.
178. On 6-Jan-2017 heading south on The Esplanade in the Largs Bay area, Matt S encountered an aggressive driver. Outcome was a crashed cyclist with a cracked pelvis, and the driver leaving the scene without providing contact details.
179. On 2-Jun-2017 about 8.25am at the intersection of Sir Donald Bradman Drive and West Terrace, Adelaide. Kim hit by a vehicle. The driver did not stop.
180. Sunday 22-Oct-2017 about 7.45am. Saints Road near Willochra Road, Salisbury East. Male cyclist seriously injured.
181. Tuesday 24-Oct-2017 around 8am to 9am. At roundabout on Beulah Road (Beulah Bikeway) and Howard Street, Beulah Park. Cyclist injured. Ambulance and police attended. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/accident-on-beulah-roa...
182. Thursday 1-Mar-2018 just after 6am. The Esplanade, Semaphore. A group of about 15 cyclists crashed at the South Tce roundabout. Three cyclists injured, including a 42yo Fullham Gardens woman in a serious condition.
183. Friday 2-Mar-2018 just after 5.30pm. Intersection of Norrie Av and Gowrie Av, outside the Samaritan College, Whyalla Norrie. Collision between a truck and 14yo cyclist Caleb Scott, who died at the scene.
184. Monday 5-Mar-2018 just before 4.30pm. Maurice Rd, Murray Bridge. Collision between car and two cyclists. 5yo girl injured. 28yo father Daniel Thompson critically injured, and died the next day.
185. On Thursday 22-Mar-2018 just before 9.30am. On the Riddoch Hwy near the Mt Salt Rd at Mt Schank. Male cyclist, 80yo, from Mt Gambier hit and killed. Male driver charged.
186. On Thursday 29-Mar-2018 about 8.30am. Portrush Rd and Purnana Av, St Georges. Male cyclist, 69yo from Henley Beach, hit by truck. Rushed to RAH with life threatening injuries.
Sadly the cyclist died on 31-Mar-2018.