Barriers to Cycling (pesky bollards and other barriers)

Hi all, I'm starting this thread in the hope that we can start to document the variety of bollards and furniture placed on cycle paths, that are dangerous or otherwise unnecessary and highly inconvenient.

Examples include bollards placed on blind corners, bollards that are hard to see at night due to their colouring/lack of reflective markings and objects placed on the path that make it difficult to navigate with alternative bicycles, such as those with bicycle trailers/cargo bikes/trikes for disabled riders etc.

There are of course plenty of bollards that are correctly placed, easy to see and such, but this thread is for those that aren't.

If possible, take a picture of the offending object, give a precise location and we may be able to direct the various authorities to each of the problems.

Views: 5375

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You just killed the surprizes in the new Britannia roundabouts

It shouldn't be on the road because trees don't pay rego.

I have reported to Charles Sturt and Holdfast Bay Councils some of the grey concrete bollards on the coastal shared path. Plus the white posts where the path deviates around seating. Austroads recommends adding relfective objects to posts in cycle paths.

What was achieved with this bike lane zig-zag through the median @ North Terrace westbound to Port rd instead of merging (through the zebra stripe area) like all the other westbound lanes. I wait for long minutes watching at the red light and the West Terrace northbound traffic is stopped when North Terrace westbound has green. 

nothing is achieved, for a cyclist who is fairly spritely, I just merge like normal because as you note, the traffic is still all stopped at the lights, though if I was a rider who really took my time the better bet would be to cross into the pedestrian area and hit the button and wait to cross as i see many people on city bikes doing

Also being fixed (as in the chevrons will be removed and the bike lane will be continued across Port Rd)

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but does this before and after show an improvement to Vic Square?  If the stencil doesn't fit so it goes in the gutter, where am I to go?

Made worse by fitting of drain. Email ACC on city @ adelaidecitycouncil.com with subject of cycling hazard (in re-designed Victoria Square?).

I never got a reply.  Lanes have been widened.  At least the stencil fits in the bike lane. Some separation would be good.

" Instead we keep chopping and changing rather than implementing tried and tested world best practises."

Imagine how much proper bike infrastructure we could get if we didn't need to have council workers repainting, erasing and moving paint every few months or years when they get worn off despite the bike lanes don't- and never will - get respected by motorists.

Money - that we haven't got  - straight down the drain - instead of investing into more sustainable transport options that benefit the economy. Who said lucky country - as opposed to smart country?

Went through there again this morning to find a bus parked in the bit of the lane which had been shifted left.

Those photos are interesting for a number of reasons:

The first photos the illustrate a flawed attempts of making cyclists safe by painting bike lanes forcing cyclists to ride next to cars doing 50 k/h with moving (left turning cars) on the left. Those left turning cars rarely staying in their lane causing a serious risk of being sandwiched between a left turning car hanging to far right before doing so and a fast moving cars going straight that veers to far to the left. Crazy.

The second photo illustrate that road planners think that cyclists are able to ride of a surface that is way below average (in fact worse than what is provided for cars). Anyone who have ridden a long the edge between the concrete curb and bitumen will know that it is a very unpleasant experience when you fill like your tyre getting stuck at any moment. The 2nd photo is the right positioning of the bike lane but there is absolutely no provisioning other than some paint. Instead there should be a dedicated 'track', either with an raised edge or with other implements to buffer from cars, with  surface that is smooth with no ruts, potholes etc. Instead we keep chopping and changing rather than implementing tried and tested world best practises.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service