It's going to be a stinker tomorrow and I know it might seem obvious, please take a few minutes to read the information below from the Bike S.A. Website. Let's stay safe out there tomorrow and look out for each other.

Ride with at least two 750ml water bottles and / or hydration pack.
Stop at each refreshment station, drink and fill your water bottles (it is better to stop, drink and cool down more often than to dehydrate).
Protect yourself from sun exposure with SPF30+ sunblock.
Wear jerseys made of material that ?wicks' away moisture from the body. Avoid cotton, which can become water logged and cause a chill when wind causes evaporation.
Carry a pump, spare tube and puncture repair kit.
Carry your mobile and / or change to make a phone call. There are significant stretches along the route without mobile phone coverage (depending on your network).
Carry identification and details of an emergency contact.
If you experience mechanical problems please rest your bike on its saddle on the roadside so support personnel can easily recognise you need help.
In the event of an accident or breakdown we can transport you and your bike to the next refreshment station or finish. The SAG WAGON follows the last rider and can be contacted on 0438 438 846. Other roaming support vehicles will travel along the route and will stop for you if you have your bike rested on its saddle by the roadside. Check the list of phone numbers on the back cover.
To avoid the Sag Wagon driving past while you are away from the road (toilet stop, sightseeing, etc) please place your bike clearly visible on the side of the road.
Look out for each other. If you find someone in distress, stop and offer help; just being there can provide all the support that is needed.
Bicycle SA reserves the right to stop an individual's ride for health and safety reasons.
Bicycle SA recommends that all riders insure themselves for Personal Accident and Ambulance Cover. Third Party and Personal Accident insurance covers current Bicycle SA members.
You are strongly advised to watch the weather forecast prior to the event and carry/wear appropriate clothing and sun protection. The latest weather information can be found on www.bom.gov.au

Keeping Hydrated  

Heat exhaustion can be avoided by following these simple tips:
Drink enough fluid to replace your sweat;
Refill your water bottle at every opportunity;
Remind your friends and team members to drink;
Don't ignore the signs of heat exhaustion;
Call for assistance if you or your friend is suffering from any one of the heat exhaustion symptoms, which include dizziness, nausea, fatigue, unsteadiness, weakness, rapid pulse, headache and shortness of breath.
How much fluid does your body need during exercise?

Before: Always start every exercise session well hydrated. Drink 300-500ml of fluid in the 15 minutes before your workout.

During: Aim to drink 150-250ml every 15 minutes to offset fluid losses - drinking smaller volumes more frequently minimizes stomach discomfort. Remember, the more you sweat, the more you need to drink.

After: How much fluid you need depends on how much you lost. Try to drink 1 litre of water for every hour of exercise.

What should you drink?

Don't overlook water as a great fluid choice. Water is easy and kilojoule-free. Sports drinks are suitable during and after longer, higher intensity exercise sessions as they contain carbohydrates (4-8%) and electrolytes to aid fluid absorption. Carbohydrates provide an added energy source and electrolytes replace salts lost in sweat.

Check out www.bikesa.asn.au for important information about keeping your body hydrated.

Additional information about keeping fit and healthy can also be found at www.beactive.com.au

Views: 759

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Surely you're not referring to strange bikes are you Simon? Hmmmm?

Basically get fluids in now before bed as if you wake up thirsty you will already be partially dehydrated before you start the ride....drink half a bottle just before the flag goes down tomorrow and drink regularly and make use of all the drink stops....dont want to cramp tomorrow before Willunga Hill as its a long ride back
RobD...about 90 percent of the field and Im pretty sure Durian Rider would agree

Flip. A few days ago, I was scared it was going to be wet.

Mind you, I'm not riding so you can all relax (no need to go dodging fat old wombats on strange bikes).

Speaking of those doing the ride, what, pray tell, are you doing up now? On the forum? Shouldn't you all be sound asleep, preparing the body for the day ahead?

32 when I hopped in the car!

That wind seems fairly stiff already. I feel for those that don't ride regularly and who really don't know what they're getting into.

On that note, you read training books on Sportives and they carry on about how much preparation you need and what you need to do etc, yet at every one of these rides you see people with very little prepartion either of themselves or their bikes ... and that's at the finish line. Rats, I guess that means I've just lost another excuse.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2019   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service