some may have seen on channel nine news a cyclist who crashed on mable hill on sunday, well that was me unfortunately. i was unable to slow enough on a bend due to damp conditions and was catapuled over the edge. As soon as i hit the tree below and landed upside down i knew i was in trouble, i could not move both my arms, there i laid for over an hour yelling for help as cars continued to pass with me down below, only the dogs in the valley could hear my calls. As time passed and nobody was coming i began to think the worse,my phone was in my back jersey but could not get any responce from my arms to grab it,knowing possibly i had broken both collarbones.

Then out of he blue i hear a call "were coming for ya mate", my calls were heard by a resident in the valley who drove around the area until he found me, my saviour. I had all but given up, i told my wife i was doing norton - lofty but changed directions after reaching nortons, my first mistake, secondly not telling her, so as she began to worry when i had not arrived home she would of had them looking in the wrong area.

A massive thankyou to the gentleman and his son who i have yet to thank personally, the paramedics who put their lives at risk to climb down the embankment and comfort me, cfs for their support in clearing vegatation so my removal was safer another hour later, the trauma team at RAH who put me together again.

After being discharged at 1am and nursing two dislocated shoulders only, i am full of gratitude to our emergency services, when i entered the RAH they suspected 4 major fractures to my left shoulder / arm alone due to it being so mangled but humpty dumpty was put back together again. I was considered very lucky. both arms in a sling it has taken every effort to type this. Unfortunately i have to go back as it was discovered late on sunday night at the RAH that the numbness down my arm and hand meant i have nerve damage and are unable to move some of my fingers yet.

The bike, well i have not seen it yet and as i type my wife is picking it up from the police at the parade.

So in all there are lessens to be learnt, but more importantly "A MASSIVE THANKYOU" to those who were there for me.

follow up:

my wife has just got back with bike, and from just a quick glance i can only find 2 minor scratches would you believe, but that was quick glance, not allowed to go near it. the only damage i can see was a twisted, mangled k edge garmin holder, garmin 800 looks ok but i have not switch on yet.   photos later when i have use of more than 1 finger to type

out of this comes a very funny story now, but could of had massive reperccusions to me. It was a young boy who was playing outside who heard my screams and went and got his dad who then heard me. upon driving around looking for me they came across a screaming lady who waved them down saying she was being kidnaped and all sorts. It was only the fact that the boy was adament with his dad that it was a male he could hear screaming they continued on and called police for her, apparently the police said she tried to wave down the ambo crews and started going crazy at them, but by the time the police got there she disappeared.  It could of turned out that i become unconious and stop screaming and they would of thought it was the histerical lady. thank god for the brave lad.

Views: 2449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

$2,000 for one day! I also thought it was a public hospital. Let AC know what you find out, so other members can be forewarned for when they tumble down hills.

Brett, have you been told that the nerve damage might heal?

I recommend Sportsmed although not free. Worth getting good treatment rather than long term damage.

In Oct-2011 I came off my bike while in NSW. The local country hospital did not pick my broken shoulder, so I assumed it was only very painful sprained hands, wrists, arms and shoulders. Ten days later saw my GP in SA. He realised immediately from the way I kept my arm across my body, elbow bent, and hand clutching my clothes for support. Ten months later and still going to physio. If surgery required less physio because the arm is not immobilised for long. However, told that surgery can damage muscles around the socket. Amount of physio is variable with the injury and person.

I somehow missed this thread before now - Brett, what a ghastly experience; hope you are on the mend.

Bike crashes are weird. Sometimes you walk away and sometimes not.

Good to hear you are back on the mend Brett. :)

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service