some may have seen on channel nine news a cyclist who crashed on mable hill on sunday, well that was me unfortunately. i was unable to slow enough on a bend due to damp conditions and was catapuled over the edge. As soon as i hit the tree below and landed upside down i knew i was in trouble, i could not move both my arms, there i laid for over an hour yelling for help as cars continued to pass with me down below, only the dogs in the valley could hear my calls. As time passed and nobody was coming i began to think the worse,my phone was in my back jersey but could not get any responce from my arms to grab it,knowing possibly i had broken both collarbones.

Then out of he blue i hear a call "were coming for ya mate", my calls were heard by a resident in the valley who drove around the area until he found me, my saviour. I had all but given up, i told my wife i was doing norton - lofty but changed directions after reaching nortons, my first mistake, secondly not telling her, so as she began to worry when i had not arrived home she would of had them looking in the wrong area.

A massive thankyou to the gentleman and his son who i have yet to thank personally, the paramedics who put their lives at risk to climb down the embankment and comfort me, cfs for their support in clearing vegatation so my removal was safer another hour later, the trauma team at RAH who put me together again.

After being discharged at 1am and nursing two dislocated shoulders only, i am full of gratitude to our emergency services, when i entered the RAH they suspected 4 major fractures to my left shoulder / arm alone due to it being so mangled but humpty dumpty was put back together again. I was considered very lucky. both arms in a sling it has taken every effort to type this. Unfortunately i have to go back as it was discovered late on sunday night at the RAH that the numbness down my arm and hand meant i have nerve damage and are unable to move some of my fingers yet.

The bike, well i have not seen it yet and as i type my wife is picking it up from the police at the parade.

So in all there are lessens to be learnt, but more importantly "A MASSIVE THANKYOU" to those who were there for me.

follow up:

my wife has just got back with bike, and from just a quick glance i can only find 2 minor scratches would you believe, but that was quick glance, not allowed to go near it. the only damage i can see was a twisted, mangled k edge garmin holder, garmin 800 looks ok but i have not switch on yet.   photos later when i have use of more than 1 finger to type

out of this comes a very funny story now, but could of had massive reperccusions to me. It was a young boy who was playing outside who heard my screams and went and got his dad who then heard me. upon driving around looking for me they came across a screaming lady who waved them down saying she was being kidnaped and all sorts. It was only the fact that the boy was adament with his dad that it was a male he could hear screaming they continued on and called police for her, apparently the police said she tried to wave down the ambo crews and started going crazy at them, but by the time the police got there she disappeared.  It could of turned out that i become unconious and stop screaming and they would of thought it was the histerical lady. thank god for the brave lad.

Views: 2449

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Full on man !!
I hope you heal quick & well .

Glad to hear you're ok mate. Know the area well. Could have been nasty.

I am glad you survived and will heal well, 

I did not hear the media news. Your experience gives me chills. It is possible to feel so helpless, unable to get up and unable to reach the mobile. Glad you are basically OK. A reminder for cyclists to tell a family member where they are heading, and to pack a charged mobile phone. Even consider carrying a Neighbourhood Watch personal alarm, if no mobile coverage in the hills and mouth too cut up for shouting.

Last October I crashed on a country road with a surprising amount of traffic, considering the location and state of the road. I could not get up (sprained arms and broken shoulder). But my concern was being unable to get off the road as I heard a vehicle coming down the winding road of the mountain. Fortunately the driver saw me in time and stopped without running me over. No mobile coverage there.

Glad you are ok Brett, everyone here it's a timely reminder to cycle in groups

Wow that's massive. Hope you make a speedy recovery and it won't put you off cycling. It is a big reminder though that it could happen to any one of us.

my wife has just got back with bike, and from just a quick glance i can only find 2 minor scratches would you believe, but that was quick glance, not allowed to go near it. the only damage i can see was a twisted, mangled k edge garmin holder, garmin 800 looks ok but i have not switch on yet.   photos later when i have use of more than 1 finger to type

out of this comes a very funny story now, but could of had massive reperccusions to me. It was a young boy who was playing outside who heard my screams and went and got his dad who then heard me. upon driving around looking for me they came across a screaming lady who waved them down saying she was being kidnaped and all sorts. It was only the fact that the boy was adament with his dad that it was a male he could hear screaming they continued on and called police for her, apparently the police said she tried to wave down the ambo crews and started going crazy at them, but by the time the police got there she disappeared.  It could of turned out that i become unconious and stop screaming and they would of thought it was the histerical lady. thank god for the brave lad.

Bugger I was going to ask if I can have the 800 but it sounds like you will be back on the bike soon. Take it easy and carefully. Shoulders can take a real long time to heal if not looked after.

Keep Smiling.

I always leave a Garmin course map up on the screen of the laptop when i ahead out for a ride just in case. I also tend not to go on solo missions on new loops as well. keeps the other half a little more relaxed when im out for a blurt

Heck,glad you are OK-ish. Heal well and quickly, and take care.
A terrifying story, glad it turned out so much better than it could have. Let's hope you make a speedy and full recovery. There is much to be said for the safety aspects of today's gadgets (garmins, mobile phones), I use the Endomondo GPS app which has live tracking on the website, the kids sometimes get on there to see where dad is on sunday mornings but if the worst does happen at least it can give people an idea where to start looking

ooooooo that Endomondo is a little creepy.

I need my foil hat.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2020   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service