The Newcastle Herald has a lengthy article on the issues facing Newcastle cyclists using Hunter Street, which now has a tram. They are being told to claim the lane, but that this is causing conflict with motorists.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/5755706/no-hunter-street-cycle-l...

What's been your experience of cycling on North Terrace? I only use the bit west of Pulteney Street and find it's no worse than before west of Frome.

I try to ride fast when taking the lane, but feel sorry for those who can't ride fast. And at night I do hold motorists up.

Views: 240

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I often ride King Will from the Torrens up to North Tce then East to Gawler Place.

King William is now a squeeze especially with the buses fighting for position so I take the footpath which is normally ok with peds because its not too busy.

North tce isn't great, the road is so tight I don't have to take the lane as cars struggle to pass anyway especially with those concrete barriers, and most drivers know that isn't a fast road so there's no point in overtaking. 

I avoid all North tce travelling in a West direction. Every time I ride there I always come across cars (illegally) parked in front of David Jones causing bottlenecks of angry drivers just waiting for someone to release on.

also N Tce crossing over KW both directions is difficult.

also what's the deal with the buses doing a hook turn on KW to N tce? no trams use the intersection when the lights are green so why not just wait on the tram lines! it makes no sense to hold up left turn cars for absolutely no reason. In Melb trams and cars use the same green light but not at this intersection

also what's the deal with the buses doing a hook turn on KW to N tce? no trams use the intersection when the lights are green so why not just wait on the tram lines! it makes no sense to hold up left turn cars for absolutely no reason. In Melb trams and cars use the same green light but not at this intersection

Perhaps to avoid busses cutting across multiple lanes of traffic, after a bus stop between Hindley St and North Terrace? And in my observation, there's usually only one bus, which stops far enough through the intersection to not block left turning traffic.

Probably your explanation is right about the buses doing the hook turn.  They've been doing it forever - long before the trams were re-introduced into this intersection.

At least footpath use is an option, even if it is slow. I'll use whichever option gives me safest passage through the traffic snarl. Sometimes taking the lane is appropriate, sometimes it's not.

I regularly put my bicycle on the train the mornings, then ride east along/alongside North Terrace from Adelaide train station to Kintore Avenue. I always use the footpath between KW Street and Kintore Avenue. The footpath is nice and wide, and even during rush hour it isn't too busy.  I see many other cyclists using the road for that section and, from my perspective, it just isn't the risk to save a few seconds.

In particular, I see cyclists "squeezed" as they cross KW street heading east, as they attempt to join the leftmost lane. I'm pretty sure this is worse than before, due to that lane getting narrower. I'll try to upload a picture later, explaining this.

It'd be nice to have at a minimum a painted bicycle lane on that footpath, similar to what is on the east side of Frome Road north of North Terrace (outside the old RAH / Adelaide Uni Medical school). I think that would legitimise its use for more cyclists and be a nice feature for cycling along a very beautiful part of the city. As I think I've said on this forum before, that section of footpath is really wide and could easily accomodate a bicycle path at least from KW Street to Frome Street; and I prefer that to the original suggestion of giving cyclists the narrower parallel footpath a few metres north, which I think it is too close to buildings and blind corners.

I've also tried claiming the lane going east from Railway station to KW street (i.e. uphill in front of Parliament House) and nearly got wiped out by a close pass. My observation is drivers don't mind me claiming the lane in slow traffic, but if they are rushing to beat a red light, at least some are prepared to risk my life to do it. So I either use footpath or road there, depending on the traffic.

I hope this photo illustrates the "squeeze" I mentioned above. It is North Terrace, facing east, just as you cross KW street. The blue line is in fact the Christmas Pageant line, but is also more or less the left edge of the left lane. To the left of this blue line is the continuation of the left-turn-only lane (North Terrace eastbound into KW street northbound). Cyclists have pretty well 3 options:

1. Stay in the straight-ahead-lane (right of the blue line) the whole time (ideally claiming the lane). That is fine if you're confident claiming the lane, but it's not for me.

2. Stay in the turning left lane (left of the blue line) the whole time, and get on the footpath when it ends. That it what I do.

3. Start in the turning left lane (left of the blue line) and, some time before that lane ends, cross the blue line into the left extremity of the straight ahead lane. I think this is the worst of both worlds; and also I think it is illegal, because they are proceeding straight ahead from a "left turn only" lane.

What bothers me is I see a lot of cyclists doing (3); and more often not, they do not seem to be checking over the right shoulder when doing so, but just assuming the cars coming up behind them will give them space. Perhaps they do this because they feel they have no alternative. But with the left lane being fairly narrow, it seems to be a recipe for close passes, and worse than it used to be.

The recent ‘upgrade’ of North Tce leaves no road space for cyclists or a shared path, so I ride on the footpath here. Actually the footpath further left / north and next to the fence / wall, where fewer pedestrians.

I thought the road rules sometimes permitted a cyclist to travel straight-ahead from a turn-left lane, but cannot quickly find a rule. Perhaps it is when an additional sign exempting bicycles.
The road rules definition of a vehicle includes car and bicycle. A distinction is made between a driver and a rider. A rider includes a person on a bicycle or motor bike. Some of the road rules differ between driver and bicycle rider.

I generally just try to avoid it and use linear park instead, although that comes with it own problems depending on the time of day.

I ride my cargo bike down there quite a bit. Clunky as that thing is, I don't dare going on the foot path.

I do try and claim the lane, but also have been close passed multiple times, just to then catch up with the idiots on the next red light. Overall I think the whole road shows nothing but contempt for cyclists from a planning perspective. There's no signs for alternatives, no good way to even cross over to KW street if heading east bound and one has to weave through a whole column of cars that cross the "bike lane" on the eastern side of the KW/NT junction, just to then not being able to turn right.

Pascalo, it is now legal for all to cycle on footpaths (unless a rare sign states otherwise). I do not understand why "I don't dare going on the footpath", if you ride slowly and thus able to dodge pedestrians. Better than another cyclist seriously injured or killed. I hate reading such headlines, even when I do not recognise the cyclist's description in the media.

Pascalo, I agree that authorities ignored cycling and safety. The authorities met with some cycling representatives, but AFTER the works had started, and (intentionally?) too late for real improvements on-road. We did ask for the far-north footpath on North Tce to be marked as a shared path or cycle path. This would have required cyclists to ride slowly to watch out for pedestrians crossing, but positively would have reminded pedestrians of cyclists. The authorities would not even do that.

Who and how can we lobby for an off-road cycle path?

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2018   Created by Gus.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service