At the AC birthday celebrations, I asked Jim Woods if he would like me to add this topic that will feature him. He said yes. When compared with the bulk of collisions, this will indicate that most cyclist collisions are the fault of the other road user. Perhaps cyclists can learn from these incidents, like being cautious of kangaroos as in Michael Warner's sad case.
Other AC members are welcome to add to this post, if they somehow find themselves in a crash without another person involved.
1. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/jims-in-hospital -- 21-Jan-2010 Jim Woods injured and in hospital wit 2 broken wrists and a broken elbow
2. http://www.adelaideyclists.com/forum/topics/cylist-injured-on-old-f... -- 27-Feb-2011 cyclist injured on old freeway
3. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/one-of-our-members-hit... -- http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/michael-warner-in-memo... -- http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/michael-warners-funera... -- http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/profiles/blogs/micheal-warners-funeral -- http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/michael-warners-funeral-1 --
1-Mar-2011 Michael Warner hit by kangaroo while descending the old freeway
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/norton-summit-safety -- posted Nov/Dec-2010 -- Angus Kingston saw roos at Norton Summit -- Steven Orr saw roos at Belair National Park -- Stuart Johnson saw roos on Montacute Road -- Clive Palfrey saw roos on The Veloway and Coast to Vine Trail -- JDL reminds of fox hazard -- Robert Rau hit fox on Blacks Road -- Luke saw roo at Teringie Drive intersection -- Robert Rau saw dead roo on Gorge Road -- Heather has seen foxes on Prospect Road in North Adelaide
4. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/crash-on-old-willunga-... -- 12-Mar-2011 Colin Ware-Lane injured on Old Willunga Hill. Includes references to photos of damaged helmet.
5. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/profiles/blogs/is-there-really-safe... -- 1-Apr-2011 posted by tiny avenger
6. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/best-wishes-to-asami -- 19-Apr-2011 Asami versus a steep downhill gradient and now has a broken arm
7. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/another-day-another-crash -- 26-Apr-2011 Colin Ware-Lane broke another helmet and also a collarbone
8. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/profiles/blogs/the-newest-member-of... -- 23-May-2011 Jon Hogan hit a pothole hidden by water in the rain and dark. A broken collarbone.
9. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/group-ride-accident-po... -- 28-Jun-2011 Scuzzie group ride on Port Road where several cyclists fell. Broken bones and bikes.
10.http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/ouch-first-proper-cras... -- 3-Sep-2011 Mikael Liddy encountered the bitumen on a hills ride and posted photos
11. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-injured-by-wire-across-a-path – Posted on 26-Oct-2011 – Prospect cyclist seriously injured by wires strung across cycle route by ACC workers.
12. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/most-stupid-unusual-cause-for-accident-or-near-miss – Posted 30-Oct-2011 – several cyclists relate avoidable cycling incidents.
13.http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/does-anyone-have-a-spare-tiny-bike-i-could-possibly-borrow-this – 4-Nov-2011 Juz slightly injured in crash with pigeon.
14. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/slippery-path-in-bonython-park – 8-Nov-2011 in Bonython Park, Stuart Johnson's bike slid out from under him on slippery path – Ian Rawley came across another victim of the slippery path.
15. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/with-friends-like-these – 12-Nov-2011 Frances Manning hit runner who was pushed into the bike's path by his jogging 'friend'.
16. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/quick-warning – Around 16-Nov-2011 Keith Davies downhill on McIntyre road, hit non-flush metal plate covering road works and split both tyres – reported that 2 other cyclists had damaged bikes at same roadworks, including damaged rim – 16-Nov-2011 Chewbacca hit a brick in Daws Road bike lane.
17. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/helmets – posted on Dec-2011 by Katrina. Her brother-in-law while driving saw a female cyclist suddenly fall to the left. He and another driver rushed to her aid. She went blue and unconscious. When the ambulance officers arrived, she was dead. A bee had stung her on the neck and the swelling blocked off her airway.
18. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/things-that-you-see-mo... – on 1-Dec-2011 Charles posted that he reported bus driver who let passenger alight into a bicycle lane, and not a designated bus stop.
19. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/profiles/blogs/tdu-training-on-hold – 10-Dec-2011 on the descent of Old Norton Summit Road, a cyclist went over the barrier and is in a bad way but being looked after.
20. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-dies-after-chr... -- 30-Dec-2011 man dies after falling from his bike on Kauri Parade, Seacliff
21. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/most-stupid-unusual-ca... – in 1972 David Southern was cycling through a downpour and slightly flooded road, when a metal bar on the road caught in his bike and sent him over the handlebars – in 2011 on Beulah Road, rossmg had tucked his jacket into his waist bag. The jacket caught in the bike, bringing rossmg to a quick halt – as a child, Clive Palfrey was cycling with a bag over his handlebars, when it caught in the bike and sent him over the handlebars – as a child, rossmg fitted a too long chain, which popped off the bike and sent him over the handlebars – as a child Baron Von Thierry caught a bag in the bike. Dinkying his brother, so they both went over the handlebars – 28-Oct-2011 on North East Road, Jeremy Champion's wheel locked up with metal u-bolt that had been on the road. Jeremy did not hit the tarmac but a warning that a noise may indicate an accident waiting to happen.
22. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/safety-tip-don-t-carry... – on 30-Dec-2011 between Middleton and Port Elliott, Shane Shody learnt the hard way not to carry a bag on the handlebars. Outcome was uncomfortable injuries and a visit to South Coast Hospital.
23. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/tdu-2012-bupa-ride – 20-Jan-2012 BUPA ride from Norwood to Tanunda. Over 7,000 cyclists. Some injuries, including gashed elbow, fractured skull, and unknown.
24. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/accident-on-woods-hill... – 12-Mar-2012 on Woods Hill Road, Tim B came across a downed female cyclist. In the company of other cyclists and the ambulance had been called.
25. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/my-first-bicycle-only-... – 17-Mar-2012 Ella Smith vs the tarmac. Ella got some cuts and bruises but managed to ride home – 16-Mar-2012 Sam Young hit the bitumen which cut him up a bit – 14-Mar-2012 GlenM lost some skin when riding home in heavy rain – Feb-2012 on Seacliff Esplanade, Katrina came off in roundabout due to car harassment and sand on road. Three days in hospital and broken bones – late last year Juddy (Shane) broke a collarbone
26. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/ouch-first-proper-cras... – 3-Sep-2011 Mikael Liddy descending Heather Road just below Stirling. On a corner when back wheel hit bump, moved sideways and crash. Doctor stayed open to check Mikael's injuries of cuts, scratches and bruises.
27. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/bike-sa-veloadelaide-r... – 18-Mar-2012 on Nairn-Woodside road, Gary hit a roadside barrier. Ambulance called.
28. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/my-first-bicycle-only-... – 17-Mar-2012 Ella Smith vs the tarmac. Ella got some cuts and bruises but managed to ride home – 16-Mar-2012 Sam Young hit the bitumen which cut him up a bit – 14-Mar-2012 GlenM lost some skin when riding home in heavy rain – Feb-2012 on Seacliff Esplanade, Katrina came off in roundabout due to car harassment and sand on road. Three days in hospital and broken bones – late last year Juddy (Shane) broke a collarbone.
29. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cancellara-s-collarbon... – Katrina shared her x-rays as a comparison with pro-cyclist's broken collarbone – On 6-Apr-2012 Mikael Liddy broke a collar bone. “Came off going round a right hand bend up near Forest Range yesterday, lost the back wheel on some debris & then went over the front left on to my elbow and shoulder. Got up & could feel some bits moving against each other that should have been solid.”
30. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/a-helmet-saved-a-life-... – 9-Apr-2012 on a cyclist detour at the park on the corner of The Esplanade and Whyte Street, Somerton Park. Andrew Dickson saw a cyclist crash and split his helmet. Cyclist had caught his handlebar in a loose banner that is placed too close to the cycling route. Andrew reported hazard to Holdfast Bay Council.
31. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/bridge-blocked-on-line... – In Aug-2011 on the River Torrens Linear Park, near a bridge west of Hackney Road, Doug K crashed on a cycling hazard and cracked ribs. In Sep-2011 Doug K saw here a crashed cyclist who was waiting for the ambulance.
32. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/photo/tribute-to-a-work-mate-hospit... – In Apr-2012 cyclist vs car parked in signed cycling area. Hospitalised with broken pelvis, dislocated hip joint, injured knee and bruising. Surgery next week when his condition should have stabilised.
33. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/blood-sweat-and-gear-s... – On 29-Apr-2012 during GW epic ride from Gawler to Port Elliot and return. First a crash on wet train lines. Later Dave crashes, Andrew crashes in Dave, and Juz crashes into Andrew. Juz came off worst with a broken nose. A police vehicle was hailed, and an ambulance called to take Juz to RAH. Bikes damaged.