As cyclists we experience collisions, but we do not bother reporting all to the police. At times police are helpful, other times police are disinterested. A few times negligent drivers are fined; sometimes just a slap on the wrist; too many drivers are not even cautioned; and I know of two collisions where the police considered to charge the cyclist when the driver was in the wrong.
http://www.ghostbikes.org -- white bicycles left at scenes of cyclist deaths
http://www.rideofsilence.org/main.php -- Ride of Silence to remember cyclists who have died due to road trauma
http://www.woj.com.au -- Wheels of Justice includes info re lawyer Eugene McGee who killed Ian Humphrey in a hit-run in 2003
DTEI / DPTI posts online yearly Road Safety Progress Reports, stating approximately __ cyclists killed, and __ cyclists injured.
Government data supports that cyclists are safer road users than drivers. In 2010 in SA 51% of drivers considered responsible, c.f. with 30% of cyclists. Did not include in my comparison other road users. But be aware that a study using bike helmet cams indicates that authorities incorrectly blame cyclists. More info in AC group Look For Cyclists at http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/group/lookforcyclists/forum/topics/...
Will add links to AC posts -- let me know if I miss any. You are welcome to add your own experiences.
Is this the bike that cyclists need to remind drivers to Look For Cyclists and thus prevent collisions?
91. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-down-tapleys-h... – On 1-Apr-2012 on Tapleys Hill Road, unknown cyclist seriously injured after being hit by car.
92. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-hit-this-morning – 2-Apr-2012 Lower North East Road. Male cyclist hit by car.
93. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/bike-accidernt – 5-Apr-2012 on Pirie Street, intersection with Pulteney Street, Baohong Hou hit by car and seriously injured. On 19-Apr-2012 will undergo surgery on head injury.
94. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclists-and-flower-se... – On 13-May-2012 AC member saw several bicycle-vehicle incidents at roadside flower stalls. Included 4WD pushing cyclist off the road and a cyclist down on Anzac Highway.
95. (should be 85a based on date) http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/2011214-cyclist-downed-in – On 14-Feb-2012 on North Terrace, Colin Sparrow saw aftermath of a cyclist hit by a van. The van left the scene.
96. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/courteous-or-cautious-... – May-2012 Lucas Pittaway in hit-run where car changed into left lane, then immediately turned left across path of cyclist.
97. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/photo/well-at-least-she-gave-me-a-s... -- On 29-May-2012 on Marion Road near Sturt Road, Trevor Hill hit by a vehicle. Fortunately only damage was the pannier knocked off the bike.
98. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-critical-after-unley-rd-accident – 1-Sep-2011 on Unley Road – On Anzac Highway Dario overtaken too closely
99. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/who-is-wrong – 9-Jun-2012 Scott McCann hit when vehicle turned across his path towards parking bay
100. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-killed-at-mallala – http://www.sapolicenews.com.au/more-news/8343-fatal-crash-at-kangar... – 9-Jun-2012 around 5pm on at Kangaroo Flat, bicycle-truck collision where male cyclist died at the scene
101. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/another-cyclist-injure... – On 15-Jan-2012 on Woodside Road near Nairne, a male cyclist injured in collision with vehicle.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south-australia/cyclist-critical... – Cyclist critical after Nairne accident. A man has been taken to hospital with critical head injuries after he was knocked off his bike at Nairne. A car hit the man, 60, as he was cycling on Woodside Rd about 11.30am. He has been taken to the Royal Adelaide Hospital and Major Crash officers are investigating.
Not good news. Adelaide Now uses the heading of 'Cyclist critical after Nairne accident'. Wish the media would use a correct term of collision or crash. Most 'accidents' are avoidable with safe and courteous driving, and therefore are not 'accidents'.
http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/nairne-cyclist-rip – Sadly the cyclist died. It appears that the driver has been charged.
102. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/i-ve-joined-the-hit-ru... – On Sunday 17-Jun-2012 around noon, on Cross Road at intersection with Duthy Street, Adam Williss catapulted into air by small green-blue car in hit-run.
103. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/bicycle-hit-and-run-po... – On Sunday 23-Sep-2012 on Quivliven Road, Aldinga, 16-year-old intentionally injured on footpath in hit-run by 4WD. Police seek info from the public.
104. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/cyclist-hit-on-portrus... – On Tuesday 25-Sep-2012 on Portrush Road near The Parade, an older male cyclist was hit. Visibly shaken but managed to hobble off the road.
105. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/brightest-tail-light-d... – On Sunday 3-Jul-2012 on South Road near Torrens Road, Paul run into the gutter by a flatbed truck, despite Paul's bright rear light. Police car drove past, without checking on Paul or stopping the truck driver.
106. http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/forum/topics/thinking-of-selling-my... – Durian Rider knocked off his bike in 96, 97, 99 and by a bus in 2003. “Some injuries took days to get over, one took 5 years and I had to live on the dole poverty line.”