Not sure how many of you know how to do this, but at times it may be useful to backup your Edge 500 to keep your data safe (not ride data but personal data, device settings etc) in case you may need to reset or replace your Edge 500, you can get the new one back to being like your old one easily.
This is copied directly from Garmin Support....
How can I back up my personal settings and profiles on my Edge 500?
Certain circumstances may arise where you will want to save your settings, profiles, and device totals. Scenarios where this might occur:
- Performing a master reset on the device - all settings and profiles will revert back to factory default settings, and device totals will be erased
- Warranty or non-warranty replacement through Garmin - replaced with a newly overhauled device, thus original device will not be returned
- Back up files for peace of mind
With the your Edge 500 connected to the computer, it will create a drive on your Computer page or Desktop (Mac). By selecting the drive, you will notice a number of folders within the Garmin folder. Three of these folders represent the following information:
- Settings – contains the Settings.fit file which stores User profile and device settings
- Sports – contains the Cycling.fit file which stores all specific settings under the Bike Setting menu
- Totals – contains our Totals.fit file which stores device totals for time and distance
To backup your device information:
- Plug your cycling GPS into the computer via the USB cable
- Open the Garmin Drive from your Computer page or Desktop (Mac)
- Select the Garmin folder
- Select the Settings folder
- Right-click on the Settings.fit file
- Select Copy
- Paste the file on your desktop or another easily found location
- Follow steps 4 thru 6 with the Sports and Totals folder (Cycling.fit to Sports; Totals.fit to Totals)
To reinstall the files:
- Plug your Edge 500 into the computer via the USB cable
- Go to the files location on your computer
- Press and hold the Shift key on your keyboard
- Select each file (still holding shift key) until all files are selected
- Release Shift key
- Open the Garmin Drive from your Computer page or desktop (Mac)
- Open the Garmin Folder
- Right-click on the New Files folder
- Paste the files into the folder
The New Files folder will automartically put the files into the correct folders once the Edge 500 is disconnected and powered on. The settings, profiles, and totals will now show on your fitness GPS.