There is a new 7.00 am - 9.00 am bike lane on the south of Rundle Street from Fullarton - College Lane.  It runs where there has always been car parking in the past. I tried it for the first time today at 8.55 am and it was full of parked cars.  Has anyone tried it earlier ?  Is it free or are the drivers taking awhile to get used to it being there ? I guess it isn't fully sign posted  yet although the signs at the beginning and end are there.

Views: 2259

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I couldn't find anything for Payneham Norwood St. Peters council, but Adelaide has this sentence in their page about parking (and Victor Harbor council has almost identical wording):

"Lines may be painted on roads to emphasise restrictions or conditions as stated on parking control signs. Where parking bays are marked in car parks or on the road surface, parking is only permitted completely within these bays."

So now I think it's technically illegal. But I doubt it was Council's intention to mark a zone for parking but make it impossible to park there. I think it was painted that way by mistake, and a letter to PNSP council might be a good idea.

Thanks for chasing that up.  I'll send them an email with that photo and the question.

So the advice from PNSP is that parking starts legally at the sign post when the bike lane is not active. The dashed line is something DTPI have put in place to indicate a bike lane starting and doesn't restrict the parking when the bike lane is not active.

Hi Heather,  Typically I see this in the morning after the bike lane closes.  So as Peter B says the car is in the area west of the sign but straddling the broken line. 

This creates an awkward situation for cyclists and they come of the shared path onto the road and have to swing out wide to avoid the parked car.  At that point traffic can appear quite quickly from the t-junction with Fullarton Road  which is just behind where this picture was taken.  Imagine a car parked right where that cyclist is. 

Actually one of Paul's other photos shows this.  

This morning at 7:15 am - 5 cars and a wheelie bin 

From Councillor Sophia MacRae - "Council inspectors will start expiation as soon as DPTI install extra signs, hopefully next week."

Makes sense.  I'd be kind of annoyed if I came up from the other direction and did a U-turn and parked in an area not marked cycle lane and got booked.  If there is a sign attached to every pole the drivers have no excuse. 

No excuse? If I point out the no parking signs on Prospect Road, the usual response from drivers is "I didn't see it". Wonder if to believe this.

Obtaining a driver's licence requires good eye sight, sometimes aided by spectacles. When I temporarily stop in an unfamiliar car space, I check for time limits before parking the car. Might be 15 minutes only, or no parking at that time.

Well if there is a bike lane sign attached to each of the existing signs telling them it is 2 hours backing 9 - 5 then they have no more excuse I guess than the one they give when they get a parking ticket.  

There is a parking control sign, but nothing to indicate "no parking" at certain times in Paul's third picture (small black car). Having a small version of the bike lane sign or a red "no parking 7-9am" on the same post as the green "park here for 2 hours at these times" would help, as the default on seeing that sign is usually "park for as long as you like at other times", where this seems to currently be "look at the sign at the end of the road for more conditions".

New signs installed.  Still three cars parked at 7:45 this morning (one was dropping someone off and moved before I got there).

RSS

MidSeason wk20 - 120x600

Support our Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Gus K.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service