Can anyone recommend a GOOD small, light weight, helmet cam that will except a micro SD or similar, and is rechargeable via USB ?
Just as good info would be what NOT to buy !
Essentially, I want to record my daily commute, as a record in case of accident, but I am sure it will be used for fun too.
whats ya budget?
Maybe $250 ish. Not really an issue.
I'm also curious about this as keen to record my exploits for safety and fun.
I'm skeptical of the awkward shape of the GoPro 'Hero' 1080P which seems to be the most recommended from what I read in terms of quality.
I've seen a few "Contour" cameras on eBay which - aside from their bulky price - seem to be a slimline and elegant fit for the side of a helmet.
Will be interested to see responses...
Just bought one of these.....arriving in a couple of days.
Ordered a 32G SD card and spare battery as well.
Had to rush off work the day after receiving the camera but took it for a quick whizz around the house. Initial comments:
1. Getting the lid off the back of the camera to access SD slot and USB port is tricky....you have to undo the latch and then slide lid up a bit before it swings open. Not explained in the maunal at all but I worked it out after about 30minutes.
2. Adjustments to camera settings can only be done via the web software....no controls for same on camera itself. Adjusting settings while out riding not possible.
3. Battery is internal so no option to carry a spare charged battery.
4. No sound facility on this model (aware of this when I bought it). In hindsight I should have gone for next model up that has sound.
5. ventilated helmet mount is robust and well designed.
6. Camera has rotating lens so you can fine tune same so picture is horizontal if camera is mounted on a tilt on the helmet.
7. Picture quality ok but I have a feeling it isnt running in HD mode. There were scan lines on the playback but this may have something to do with low res setting and maybe even the fact I was filming under LED lights.
More reports after Ive been out for a ride.
looking forward to seeing your first recorded ride !
Hope you like comedy
Looking forward to watching this one!
Correction the Contour Roam DOES have sound....built in mic on front of camera.
Still havent had a chance to get out on the road and test the unit yet....maybe tomorrow.
Pete I know a few people who have bought from these guys, easy to deal with Aust based and good back up.
+1 got my Garmin Edge 500 from these guys and had a good response to emails regarding issues with auto shutoff feature on the device.
One day I will get a helmet cam. This small bullet-shaped helmet camera sounds interesting. Contour HD 1080p is the world's first full HD wearable camcorder to shoot and share $349 in Jan-2011. www.sportscamera.com.au/contour-hd-c-81.html
Helmet mounted is better than bike mounted, because it gets cyclist's view, e.g. to vehicle on left failing to give way to right. Dr Marilyn Johnson, MUARC, did a study where cyclists wore helmet cams. Used software to decrease the jerky movements or sea-sickness feel for film viewers caused by alert cyclists moving their heads.
Cyclists need a second cam to catch pictures from the rear.