Do you love cycling and live in Adelaide? We are a community of more than 4000 cyclists - join us to share and connect with others.

I may be the last one in Adelaide to realise this, but following a minor bingle with a car last week that caused me to call my insurance company re the repairs, I was advised that my policy no longer covers damage whilst my bike is 'in use' (ie., OK for theft or if it was damaged whilst NOT in use). They had clearly changed this cover since I last needed this support (Feb 2009). One might speculate that the interstate disasters in recent years (acknowledging their loss was FAR greater than mine) may have prompted these companies to minimise future liabilities through tampering with their policies. So my advice to AC members who think that the bike is insured for accidental damage, please check your current policy exclusion! I am now getting  quote from that Cycle Cover Gold mob (http://www.cyclecover.com.au). Does anyone recommend them?

Tags: insurance

Views: 2169

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sorry about the long delay, but I have been corresponding regularly with the internal dispute resolution (IDR) folks at CUNA, actually very helpful. Having lodged my 'case', the IDR officer actually went back to the first level of complaints underwriters who didn't budge. So they had their IDR committee meeting on Friday and have advised that they will allow my claim on the grounds that I was using the bike for commuting at the time of the accident, so considered it not a sporting usage. They stuck to their PDS definitions of 'sporting good in use' as applying to bikes, so did not concede to me that it was wrong or ambiguous. I must confess that I was not expecting that outcome. Anyway, I am happy that I got what I believe to be a fair and reasonable result and have thanked the IDR officer who managed it.

I also learned recently that there has been other cases where the insurer has only committed to repair cracked carbon, rather than replace it. This has implications for manufacturer's warranty (ie., void!). I have heard of a court case on this point that was settled in favour of the insured, ie., the the insurer should replace and not just repair cracked carbon frames.

The morals of the story, again: read your PDS carefully, seek clarification if you think it is ambiguous, get that in writing not just what you may be told on the phone (or at least ask for the call to be noted and recorded on your policy), and be prepared to push beyond what the folks at the call centre and even underwriters might say on a particular matter. THANKS all for this discussion, Ray.

Great to hear the good news.

On the flip side, it would have been very interesting to see how FOS would have determined had it gone all the way.

Ray, thanks for keeping us updated. The process should have been simpler. How many would have given up and not received payment when cyclist was paying for insurance? Consider if cyclist seriously injured or on-going physio appointments.

I have added a link to your post on the AC group Look For Cyclists under topic Insurance at http://www.adelaidecyclists.com/group/lookforcyclists/forum/topics/...

RSS

Support our Sponsors

ad2

© 2014   Created by Gus K.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service