Today's rides had it all. With 14 brave riders out today.

Kate, Mark, Andrea and Paula enjoying a coffee.

Andrea led a short flat ride route 3 with Paula, Kate and Mark. From all accounts the ride was very successful, enjoyable and uneventful. May need some comments from these riders but the smiles do not lie.

To quote Andrea "Today's ride proved that these easier flat rides are an integral part of our Saturday rides. They are not only here for new riders to get experience but also for those who are coming back from a spell off the bike or an illness and just need to turn their legs. This was the case today with Mark Forth just wanting a nice casual ride and Kate & Paula who have been quite ill and just wanted to take it easy. We all had a lovely catch up and the bonus was the weather being rather kind to us in spite of the days predicted forecast. Definitely smiles all round."

Robs hills ride was similar with lots of smiles at the end but minor drama. This ride chugged along nicely in two groups until Jason I believe had a flat on the OTH road just before Uley Road. Here subject again to correction TEC Ian stopped to assist Rob and Simon. The rest of us powered down Cornish hill Road and then waited on Blacktop. After cooking in the heat last week I had dressed with no layers so I and others including Masa started to get very cold. The oarsome 7 as we became known decided to slowly ride Blacktop expecting the others to catch up.

Colin expertly led us down the decent of Blacktop and the climbing of Target Hill Road. Target Hill road 15 % slope was not easy. Peter B displayed amazing core strength powering up while standing in the saddle the whole distance, great effort. Steve powered up like he was on a battery powered bike. Masa was a dot in the distance with Steve and Colin. Jason, Peter, Glen and myself was pacing ourselves so the other 3 riders could join us.

At the start of Green gully our FEARLESS ride Captain Rob joined us and asked what happened at the Blacktop regroup and we mentioned Dave and others was feeling the cold. Rob then rode back down Target Hill to catch up with Simon and Ian. I think Ian was back after a number of weeks off. Rob said to wait a few minutes and then ride slowly and carefully down Green gully which we did after Steve took some photos of the oarsome 7.

We then rode carefully down the 10% slope Green Gully with the first roundabout coming up very quickly, but thanks to Robs advice we all squeezed through this and three other roundabout plus other road calming devices as you enter The Grove Way. Again Colin and Steve with his disc brakes guided us down this dangerous decent and road furniture. We heard later that Rob sadly hit the road furniture on the bend into The Grove Way. Understand some bruises and a trip back to his bike shop is required. He looked fine back at the Exchange.

The oarsome 7 continued up the long grind of the Grove Way to Yatala Vale Road. Here we passed a cheerful Nick going the opposite direction, we were now 38 km into the ride. At Tilley Reserve one rider had taken a wrong turn but quickly found we were not at the Old Golden Grove Police Station and after a number of phone calls caught us up. The ride then went up Seaview Road that Colin pointed out must mean we can see the sea and eventually we could from the top. Then it was down and up Snake Gully through to One Tree Hill Road. On OTH road Glen, Peter, Jason and I roughly rode together.

Unfortunately I picked up a slither of glass with less than 9 km to go. While fixing this Simon rode past informing us that he was the last rider. Many thanks to Peter and Glen for the helpful advice on squeezing the glass out of the tire. 

The ride was tough and all had big smiles back at the Exchange.

Many thanks to all for the great company and encouragement. A special mention and thanks for your ride assistance to us all to Andrea (RC), Kate (TEC), Ian (TEC) and Rob (RC).

Thanks Rob on today's efforts plus mapping a number of new ride routes with some technical riding aspects, bad luck but sure hope you are back on the bike soon. These new routes and assistance help us all. I can't wait to try out some more of these routes soon.

The rain and wind held off.

Image may contain: one or more people, people riding bicycles and outdoor

Views: 76

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Jason riding strongly

Top of Green Gully thanks for ride photos Steve

RSS

MidSeason wk20 - 120x600

Support our Sponsors

© 2017   Created by Gus K.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service