Access, mobility, health - have your say on the Adelaide Integrated Movement Strategy

It's now up on the Adelaide City Council website. Public consult period open until June 8th. All suggestions will be taken on board.All aboard!

http://yoursay.adelaidecitycouncil.com/IntegratedMovementStrategy

Tags: ACC, adelaide, advocacy, lanes

Views: 562

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

If they made it easier for me to drive to and park in the city they could win me back.

Patrick, what does the city have that would entice you back.

Entertainment and retail therapy, both of which I am unlikely to do on a bike tbh. Travelling home late at night on the Noarlunga line can be interesting at times. By the time you get to a train or tram stop and then to the city and then a walk to a particular venue the car is a more viable option in most cases IMO, particularly with a load of shopping.

I hate working in the city and will usually turn down a job unless there is on site parking, I can't get my van in underground parks and it's near impossible to find an on street park close to a job.

If I'm honest steps to minimise the number of cars in the city would be great as it would leave more room for me to park, but this plan isn't all about me is it? ;)

The plan is to minimise the number of cars in the city, leaving more room to park for those who actually DO need to use a car in the city. By developing and implementing real alternatives (public transport, bike, walking, carpooling, etc) for those who are in a position to take up these options, it will benefit people like Patrick who want to go in, spend some money and have some fun after hours, and are actually using their vehicle for work during normal business hours.

This plan sounds like it will suit you really well, Patrick! And for me, being within 5 km of the CBD, I just don't want to see it scuttled by misinformation.

Entertainment I can relate to, you need to be very commited to utility cycling to go to a show or restaurant and cycle home or use public transport at night though some clearly do. But retail therapy, presumably we're not talking about the weeks grocery shopping here but the odd splurge at the sales wouldn't overload most of us and a tram or train ride to transit hub where your car is parked would be a lot cheaper, quicker and probably less stressfull.

Patrick, if there really is no other practical way for you to get to the City, then you'll be pleased to know that this plan will actually be tilted toward short stay shoppers, and I believe they will be offering the first hour of car parking for shortstayers (i.e. shoppers) free. There will be an incremental introduction of higher fees for the all-day commuters, step in step with improvements in public transport, so that the city will be less congested with commuter cars and car parks that are used all day by a single car.

I think you'll like this plan. They are making it easier for you to drive to and park in the city, if you are there to shop, and are not using your car for the 9-5 commute. 

If only i can get my better half to do all her shopping in one hour :) it takes her all day to buy a pair of shoes, and then she wears them once and needs a new pair.

Sell the car and she'll only need one pair of shoes, with cleats and the same colour as the bike

Hee hee, I like this idea.

Check out Adelaide railway station, city tram stops, Grenfell Street bus stops at any peak period and it's obvious that public transport works and will work better with more frequant services both at peak and more importantly at off peak periods. More efficient public transport services = less cars = greater flexibility to provide better cycling facilities.

Public transport is the key but that's more State govt than ACC, I reckon the govt should have far more control over the CBD and surrounds than the council. 

I find the Noarlunga train service very convenient during the day on weekdays. Not keen on catching trains at night by myself.

RSS

Support our Sponsors

© 2014   Created by Gus K.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service